Shameless Self-portrait

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 p51

p51

• Regular Group
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:53 PM

I was at a parade yesterday, and believe it or not, I have almost no photos of myself with my 1944 Willys Jeep.
This is the photo as I cropped it for shameless "look at me" factor:
user posted image
Check out what I did with this picture later. I digitally removed the street signs atop the stop sign, covered up the group sign in the Jeep behind me with a tarp, and then removed a "support our troops" magnet on the cab of the 2 1/2 truck behind me.
And I added a signal corps logo like they added to official photos...
user posted image

#2 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:02 PM

Great photos -

#3 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:27 AM

Great photo,
The sad thing is that you almost look young enough to have been there
in WW2.
Kind wishes

#4 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2201 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

p51:

Nice photos! I especially like the signal corps logo.

And now shamelessly off topic: My newly acquired 1945 MB makes a slight "chuff, chuff" sound while idling. I've adjusted the idle mixture screw; no help. Is this something you've run into? It's a fresh restoration and otherwise runs beautifully. (Hope it isn't a valve failing to seat. . . )

#5 p51

p51

• Regular Group
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:37 PM

Do a compression check. Check manifold gaskets, plugs, wiring, distributor bearing wear, points, carb and float, idle jet.
That's a good place to start. Then log onto this website for any further info if you need it:
G503 dot com
Then sell it and buy another Thompson.  wink.gif
How much do you think a WW2 Jeep is worth? Based on what I've been reading here, a good M1928A1 Thompson is probably worth almost as much as THREE halfway decent WW2 Jeeps these days!
dry.gif

#6 45fan

45fan

• Regular Group
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

Neat pix! Thank you for posting them. smile.gif Wish I had a Willy's.

Sam

#7 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2201 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:34 AM

PhilOhio,

As always, thanks! I can't sell it; I bought it to carry a Thompson as it has the universal weapons rack!

Note to self: never buy an old vehicle without having ALL of the manuals first.

Observation from recent experience: a good M1928A1 will cost more than even a really nice, over restored Willys MB.

Yet more observations: an MB is no modern pasenger car. It rides really rough. The gearbox is crude, lacking synchro mesh. NDT tires are really noisy on pavement. It rattles like crazy. It has just three forward gears, and first is really not much needed. Practical pavement top speed is about 55. Turning radius is poor, at 17 1/2 feet. Driver comfort never entered into consideration in the original design. All of that said, it's an absolute blast, especially in the desert! Four wheel drive is really not needed 99% of the time, even in the sand.

It's another one of those things, like the Thompson, that everyone is at least familiar with, and is another absolute American classic.