• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk67

Dirk67

• Regular Group
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Firearms(of course), hunting and my family

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:40 AM

SAW this on bowers thought someone here might like to see it before it gets snagged.

DAW

This weapon started life as a Bridgeport Thompson M1A1. At some point in its history, it was arsenal reworked to M1 configuration, at which time the "A1" designation was hashed out.

Go here to see a bunch of photos:
http://www.subguns.c...H_01/index.html

This is a fresh rewat, done perfectly. The upper and lower have been expertly parkerized as part of that process, see the pics.

This weapon is in stock in Oregon on Form 3 and comes with one mag, the same or similar to the one in the photos.

This is being offered to cover some capital outlay, thus I regret not being in the market for trade opportunities on this weapon.

If you're interested, please pick up the phone. I get too much email to answer it all.

Thank you for looking,
Tom
Contact Information
Name: Tom Bowers
Street Address: PO Box 430
City: Cornelius
State/Province: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97113
Telephone Number: (503) 992-8697 8am to 6pm PST

Edited by Dirk67, 10 June 2005 - 10:03 AM.

#2 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

If you read the ad now,...it says the asking price is 14k... wink.gif

#3 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:16 PM

How nice could the rewat be if it used a pitted mag ejecter?

user posted image

#4 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:56 PM

Colt rocker?

Needs pins instead of levers.

All Fuged up gun+rewat=me not interested.

Would rather pay more for an unmolested model myself.

#5 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

Unmolested model?...doesn`t this Thompson fit the criteria of wartime usage and arsonal rebuilding?...most of the veteran Thompsons I`ve seen up close were `Fuged`...however I thought that went with the program and when one was acquired the owner had some latitude as to how to restore,modify to his or her tastes...jmo.. wink.gif

#6 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:21 AM

Am I correct in thinking that of rewat, as just having the barrel cleared of lead, which is different from a welded receiver? If that is the case, I don't think I would mind buying a rewat. As long as the receiver is uncompromised, the other parts don't seem too important. I think Smoker has a point; there aren't many M1s with all matching parts. I don't think 14K is a premium price for a GI Thompson, considering that W.H. are going for 12 to 13K. However, I would prefer one marked with, "Property of U.S. Government." LOL

#7 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2883 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:39 AM

philasteen - I too wondered about the pitted magazine catch when whoever restored this M1 went to the trouble and expense of using paddle type levers.

John Jr, - I too wondered if that fire select lever was Colt. Strange!

Sgt - You have asked the right question. How was this Thompson dewatted in the first place and what repairs took place to restore functionality? Dewats are a game in and of themselves. Any firearm that has been dewatted at some point in time would not generally be worth as much as an unaltered model. However, I would guess that many machine guns that were only lightly dewatted in the beginning and easily restored (and possibly refinished) at some later date would lose their dewat status or history after a few transfers. The key to purchasing a dewat is being careful and having a machinist gunsmith like PK do an inspection to insure everything is OK.

#8 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:49 PM

Call Tom and ask him. He's the owner of Subguns.com and a great guy....even for a hippie tongue.gif

#9 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jun 12 2005, 11:27 AM)
I'd be surprised it it's still on the market as I post this.  Plenty of folks can tell the difference between a good deal and a bad one.

I agree. Considering who's selling the gun, I'd have no qualms at all about the gun or the price.

#10 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:15 PM

It's been "spf" a couple days.

MP

#11 guy sajer

guy sajer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

He's got an M1 for sale now . 18k

http://www.subguns.c...rch_and_display

#12 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:30 PM

Nice gun but I'm sorry, that is just too much damn money! Is there no end to the madness? ph34r.gif

Mike Hammer

#13 Eponymous

Eponymous

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:38 PM

18 thousand dollars is some tall coin. The ad also says not to be shy about making serious offers, so there's some wiggle room. Probably a few thousand worth. That's what I'd do if I got too many people wanting the first one.

#14 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:38 PM

I didn't want to get into specifics until all is said and done but I recently agreed to purchase a similarly rewatted M1 for 15k. Doesn't have the dog ears but looks as nice as Tom's except the dewatting left no damage on the receiver, even with a macro lens.

We talked about prices softening, didn't the "Heads up" M1 go for 14.5?

It be great if we could keep a valid list of recent prices to help everyone sort out the 'true market value'

Roland I