Atf Mission Statement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:16 AM

Talk about curio & relic status in some of the threads have gotten me to thinking. I was wondering if the ATF or other agencies have ever publically expressed their appreciation for weapons of historical significance, maybe in a mission statement or letter. The natural tendency is to cynically say that they don't give a damn; just get them off the streets. Certainly, that seems to be the perception in many cases. However, that doesn't explain why we had the Amnesty registration, and our present C & R classification for certain firearms. It would be easy enough for the Feds to just do nothing.

#2 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:29 PM

The C&R classification was created by the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and I am sure it was not inspired by any bureaucrat at ATF. My guess would be that the NRA is more responsible than anyone. Before this anyone could order a gun thru the mail, as Lee Harvey Oswald did.

#3 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

If I recall correctly, the amnesty was the court ordered result of a self incrimination problem involving GCA68.

They didn’t ‘give’ us anything, although they still have the power to authorize an additional amnesty at any time.

#4 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

Thanks guys, for the great insights. I was hoping that deep within the bureaucratic ranks there was some entity looking out for our interests. Maybe there is, but I think Phil put it in perspective, considering the nature of their jobs. I guess it still comes back to the the fact that our collective and relentless voices are the major catalyst for our cause.

#5 v188

v188

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:45 PM

Phil, I seem to remember reading the statute, some time back, and as I recall, one and possibly two amnesties are authorized. (In that the law was passed and signed by Potus).

Now if it ever becomes implemented? I wouldn't give long odds. huh.gif

I'll look around for the cite if I get some free time. I'm pretty sure it's on the NFA website recently set up. Two or three guys post about it over on Bowers regularly (the NFA board, but I just can't recall the site, sorry).
I believe it's nfaoa.org ?