• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tcgoll

tcgoll

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

I recently saw on of the Korean War Commemerative Thompsons for sale on one of the Board. The seller said that this was one of only 6 full auto Korean Commemerative made. Does anyone know if this is a correct number or was he saying this to justify his asking price of 20K.

#2 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:48 AM

Hi.

That appears to be an incorrect total listed by that seller. According to the Thompson Collectors News data, the total number produced is 145, all built in 1984.

http://www.nfatoys.c...aug/aug98p6.htm

Chris.

BTW - Those things are freaking ugly in my personal opinion. $20k for looking like that is a BIG stretch. I inspected a WW2 model a few years ago for 9K with a 20 round mag and some jive ass display case. I promptly passed even though at the time the price was okay and it was in good shape. I would just assume convert it back to stock if the price was right (and 20K isn't - you can still get WW2 guns for that) and if you could get rid of that just awful engraving on the receiver. I remember hearing somewhere a while ago that the commemoratives were even more unreliable than stock WH guns, but I am sure it is a crapshoot at best as '80s WH were. If you are tempted to buy or negotiate it, remember that you could very easily have to sink more money ($1000+) to get it to run right if you want to shoot it. The only positive is it is C&R, unlike stock WH 1928's.

#3 tcgoll

tcgoll

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the info, I traded into one a few months ago (I am in to it for under 7K) I did not think that this was the right production number, I have seen 3 or 4 together at a time. Planning on getting rid of the wood and having a set of 21 style wood made for it. I have a set of 28 internals and it should run when I get through with it.

#4 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3480 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:27 PM

sold one in the last five year's new no box.. for $5,000.00 come to think of it...recon {jerry} bought it....along with all my pouch's, drum's, and mag's... and part's...he like's thompsons....why he bought that chink model 1921 for the $40,000 i will never know....must be that history thing.off track...

anyways are they worth $20,000.00 not to me.i have sold off all my engraved gun's gold, blued, nickled,handgun's also.......and i had a hundred of them....display them once look around the room,and you ask yourselve,"what did i get into"am i nut's??

never going to shoot these thing's...it's another i got them and you don't disease...... rid yourself of it quickly...

because when you are not around,the wife,girfriend>or both. and family will sell off all the fancy stuff..to that big time wheeler dealer, who tell's them: "they sure is purty mame " but only worth 40% of what you'd want..because everybody want's a shooting gun and not a looker..wink!!

add ready to throw up at this point!

anyways have fun.blast away...it's only metal! take care,ron

#5 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

The full auto Comm display cases (shorter than the semi cases) appear to be pretty rare. No idea what one is worth.

If you want a '28 WH shooter that's also C&R so you can have in a C&R state or if you don't want the hassle of a 5320.20 every time you cross state lines, the C&R Comms are "good to go".

Ya get a full boat '28 parts set, swap barrel, wood, sight and internals. The gold fill in the receiver falls out really fast or you can pick it out with a tooth pick. From a couple feet away, looks like any other '28 WH TSMG. To convert back, swap parts back and fill back in the recesses in the receiver.

My opinion - The price should really be about the same as any other '28 WH.

MHO, YMMV,...

MP