• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4266 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:46 PM

For those of you who don't know me yet, I'm pretty seriously into firearm manuals, and especially Thompson paper items. This is a trait I share with Mike Sig (SIG) on this board. For the last couple of months, we have been working on a project together that will be presented at the TCA Show and Shoot in Ohio next month. We are putting the finishing touches on it now, and it's 50 pages long, covering 86 different paper items currently. I am very excited about the opportunity for SIG and myself to present during the "lecture" portion of the show. We have put together the most complete presentation ever assembled covering Thompson Manuals, Catalogs & Other Paper Items. (That's the title)

The reason I'm posting this, is that I truly want the presentation to be the most complete resource ever put together on the subject. In that pursuit, I am looking for any paper items such as catalogs, manuals, golden-age sales flyers, etc. that would be appropriate for the presentation. We're not looking for movie posters or war posters, although they are interesting. I have included a list below of what is included in the presentation so far, which by itself is a tremendous resource to the Thompson community. Pictures of these items appear in the presentation. Printed copies of the presentation will be available for sale at the show, and afterwards by contacting me via e-mail. The presentation will be submitted for printing at the end of July.

If anyone can supply high quality scans or pictures of additional Thompson paper items, they will be considered for inclusion in the presentation. Your help is greatly appreciated. Please contact me at my e-mail address listed at the end of this post if you have any other items. Any pictures that are used will receive credit for the contributor by name in the presentation.

Most of the items pictured in the presentation belong to SIG or me. Many will be on display at the show.

I would like to thank the following individuals who have contributed thus far:

A Collector
Tom Davis
American Thunder II, by Frank Iannamico
Craig Zammiello
Mark T. Taylor

Thompson Manuals, Catalogs & Other Paper Items:

1919 Sales Flyer
1921 Catalog
Directions for the Dismounting and Assembling The Thompson Submachine Gun Model of 1921
Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun Model of 1921, 1st Edition
Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun Model of 1921, 2nd Edition
Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun Model of 1921, 3rd Edition
1921 French Catalog
Manuel du Submachine Gun Thompson Modele 1921 (French Handbook)
Pistolet-Mitrailleur Thompson de 11,25mm, Modele 1921 (French Military Manual)
Manuel du Submachine Gun Thompson Modele 1928 (French Handbook)
Uppgifter om Thompson Kulsprutepistol Modele 1928 (Swedish Handbook)
1928/21/27 Handbook (Version 1)
1928/21/27 Handbook (Version 2)
1928/21/27 Handbook (Version 3)
1923 Catalog
1922 Price List
1923 Price List
1927 Price List
1928 Price List
Sales Flyer w/ Postcard, Circa 1927
French Enclosure to Sales Flyer w/ Postcard
Instruction Sheet envelope
Instruction Sheet
Winding Card
1929 Catalog
1929 Catalog Reproductions
Edition of 1936 Manual of Instructions on the Thompson Submachine Gun
Edition of 1937 Manual of Instructions on the Thompson Submachine Gun
1936 Catalog (Pine Street version)
1936 Catalog (Nassau Street version)
1936 Catalog (Nassau Street version - 2-tone)
1936 Catalog reproductions
Bridgeport Catalog
The Thompson Submachine Gun (Thompson Automatic Arms Corp. Manual)
1935 U.S. Marine Thompson Manual
1937 U.S. Marine Thompson Manual
The Marine's Handbook, 1940
Edition of 1940 Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun, Model of 1928, (Version 1)
Edition of 1940 Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun, Model of 1928, (Version 1- Transitional)
Edition of 1940 Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun, Model of 1928, (Version 2)
Edition of 1940 Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun, Model of 1928, Model M1, (Version 3)
Edition of 1940 Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun, Model of 1928, Model M1, (Version 4)
Edition of 1940 Handbook of the Thompson Submachine Gun, Model of 1928, Model M1, (Reproduction)
FM 23-40, 1940
FM 23-40, 1941
FM 23-40, 1941/46
TM 9-1215, 1942 (USGPO Version)
TM 9-1215, 1942 (Raritan Arsenal Version)
TM 9-215, 1942
TM 9-215, 1942 (Official Military Reprint)
The Armored Force School, Fort Knox, Kentucky, Gunnery Department 1942, M1928A1 Manual
ORD 9 SNL A-32, 1944
Base Shop Data, M1 Thompson, 1943
Navy Bureau of Ordnance Publication on Thompsons, 1943
Small Arms Training, Volume I, Pamphlet No. 21, Thompson Sub-Machine-Gun, 1940
Small Arms Training, Volume I, Pamphlet No. 21, The Thompson Machine Carbine, 1942
Small Arms Training, Volume I, Pamphlet No. 21, The Machine Carbine, 1944
Small Arms Training, Volume I, Pamphlet No. 21, The Machine Carbine, 1944/55
Small Arms Training, Volume I, Pamphlet No. 21 (India), Thompson Machine Carbine, 1942
Small Arms Training, Volume I, Pamphlet No. 21, The Machine Carbine, 1944 (Canada)
Small Arms Training, Volume I, Pamphlet No. 15, Austen - Owen - Thompson, 1943
Tommy Gun, Rifle and Bayonet by Nicholson & Watson (48 Page version)
Tommy Gun, Rifle and Bayonet by Nicholson & Watson (63 Page version)
Tommy Gun, Rifle and Bayonet by Nicholson & Watson (Different color version)
The Thompson Submachine Gun Mechanism Made Easy, by Gale and Polden, (1st version)
The Thompson Submachine Gun Mechanism Made Easy, by Gale and Polden, (2nd version)
The Thompson Submachine Gun Mechanism Made Easy, by Gale and Polden, (Reproduction)
Manual of Modern Automatic Guns, Bernards Publishers Ltd. (1st Version)
Manual of Modern Automatic Guns, Bernards Publishers Ltd. (2nd Version)
The Armourer's Handbook, Part II, Machine Carbines and Pistols, by Labore, Gale and Polden
Small Arms Manual by Barlow (1942 to 1962)
Automat M1A1 Tomson (Yugoslavian Manual)
1975 West Hurley Catalog No. 1
1976 West Hurley Catalog No. 2
1977 West Hurley Catalog No. 3
1981 West Hurley Catalog No. 4
1983 West Hurley Catalog
1987 West Hurley Catalog
10th Edition West Hurley Catalog (1991)
10th Edition West Hurley Catalog
1995 West Hurley Catalog
2004/5 Kahr Catalog
1975 West Hurley 1927-A1 Thompson Manual
West Hurley Full-Auto & Semi-Auto Manual
West Hurley Full-Auto & Semi-Auto Manual (Kahr Arms Paste-Over)
Kahr Arms Semi-Auto Thompson Manual

Thanks in advance for your support of this project, and I look forward to meeting all of you next month in Ohio. This is going to be an awesome presentation!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#2 adlake

adlake

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Fords(1982 Ford Fairmont,351-C, AOD,sport style Futura.), 1920-1930 lifestyles, all thompson guns (except M-1).

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:13 PM

dalbert

I Have a 1923 catalog reproduction if your intrested as well. I wasn't sure you were doing repo or not. This ones made to look like a repo for a reason biggrin.gif -adlake

#3 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4266 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

adlake,

Thanks for the offer. I believe you are probably referring to the very colorful reproduction 1923 catalog that is currently being sold online. I am including some reproductions in the presentation, if they serve as aids to determining the authenticity of the paper items they reproduce. I have left a few reproductions out of the presentation because of their obvious nature, and low collector value. If the catalog you reference is something other than the colorful 1923 catalog repro, please let me know.

Thanks!

David

#4 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4266 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

PhilOhio,

Longer term plans are definitely in the works, but a museum would be a stretch. I've been working on a book covering military firearm manuals for over a year, and right now it is just over 100 pages long. The book will cover all the Thompson paper items, as well as hundreds of other military firearm manuals. Other than that, you may have seen my article in the July issue of SAR on Reising manuals, and I have another article submitted on the Hyde Model 35 Submachine Gun for which I have received a preliminary schedule to be published in the February 2006 issue. It will probably hit our mailboxes in late December, unless it is bumped to a later date. My next article, which I will begin to write after the TCA Show, will cover 2 attempts by an individual to purchase Auto-Ordnance in 1932 and 1935. This is a story with a direct connection to the Hyde Model 35. I have the original paperwork detailing the attempted deals, including 2 signed by Marcellus Thompson. I will also submit other manual articles, including coverage of some Thompson items.

Everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback on the printed version of the TCA Show and Shoot Presentation on Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, and Other Paper Items. I will sell printed copies of the 50-page Power Point presentation at the show, and if any remain afterwards, I will sell them through the mail. My intention is to provide the very best printed copy I can afford to market. Color printing of this type and scale is extremely expensive. Nevertheless, I would prefer to print them in color to provide a high quality publication to Thompson collectors. They will have a clear plastic sheet over the front and a black plastic sheet on the back, and a spiral binding. They will be very similar to the publications Doug Richardson has marketed, but hopefully in all color.

I believe that once people see this presentation, they will want a printed copy. I'm not going to do CD copies.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. Would folks be willing to pay $30 for a color copy of the presentation? I'm not in this to make money. If I print 100 of them, and charge $30, I will have to sell 74 to break even. If I print 50 of them, I just barely make my money back if I sell all of them. It's a risk for me, but like I said, I want to provide a good resource to the community of collectors.

2. I cound print a black and white copy much cheaper. I don't want to do a black and white copy, but I might, and they could sell for $20, and I could recover my investment pretty easily. How do people feel about black and white copies as a resource to collectors? Everything that has been printed so far on the subject has been in black and white.

I will probably number the copies, 1 to 100, or 1 to 50, depending on the number I decide to print.

Any thoughts? Feel free to e-mail me privately.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#5 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2882 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:50 PM

David,
Let's bring your offer back to the top of the board so everyone will get a chance to view it. Put me down for an autographed $30.00 color publication. I have a feeling it will soon be cited as an authority on Thompson literature - and will sell out fast! See you at the show.

#6 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4266 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:30 PM

TD,

Thanks for all your support!

Everyone,

Thanks to those of you who responded to this post! As a result of this post, I have added several Thompson items to the presentation that were submitted to me by folks on the board. They are as follows:

1923 Thompson Autorifle Handbook, 1924 (Wow!!!)
Auto-Ordnance "E" For Production Excellence Award Program
AOC Newsletter
SNL A-82 Ordnance Catalog
1936 Catalog (A 4th Version previously undocumented - Awesome!)
Federal Laboratories Catalog w/ Thompson coverage
How To Remedy and Prevent Stoppages - Whitaker's Home Guard Automatic Weapon Series
Air Force Pre-Flight School (Pilot) Gunnery Division Manual

Many thanks to Bill Menosky and Shawn Hamblin! Your help is greatly appreciated!

A couple more paper items were submitted that might be added as well.

Additionally, I acquired the following items that will be included:

E.E. Richardson TSMG Business card
E.E. Richardson TSMG Letterhead

I also found another manual in my picture archives of manuals I have sold in the past that includes Thompson coverage:

Quartermaster Weapons Training Programs (WW II Camp Lee, VA Publication)

I also have a picture I'm going to include of a Totem Pole Newsletter from Savage Arms. One of these was featured in the most recent TCN.

If anyone else has any last minute items they would like to submit pictures of for inclusion in the presentation, I still have a little bit of time. Please contact me.

Thanks Again!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#7 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

Dave,
I'd take an autographed copy at $30.00. After all the bids I lost to you on Ebay, wink.gif I know the stuff you will have pictured is first rate!!

See you in August!!

john

#8 bt3_guns

bt3_guns

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Tommy Guns
    F-111s

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

Put me down for a copy at $30 also - see you at the show!

Bill Troy