Thompson For Sale At Autoweapons

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1626 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

Just curious if anyone here may have called on the following TSMG for sale.
Wondering how much they might be asking.
If I read this correctly it is refinished?

COLT 1921AC THOMPSON .45 SUBMACHINE GUN, "C&R" RATED. THIS IS A 1921AC COLT IN SUPER CONDITION..... THE GUN WAS HELD BY A COLLECTOR SINCE THE EARLY 1990's AND HAS BEEN PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED INSIDE AND OUT, WITH A MINT BORE, MINT COMPENSATOR, MINT BOLT, ACTUATOR AND BLISH BLOCK. ALL ORIGINAL MARKINGS, NUMBERS AND PROOFS IN PLACE ON THE RECEIVERS...... NICE VINTAGE WOOD STOCKS WITH NICKEL LATCH.... LOOKS LIKE IT WAS IN A TIME MACHINE. THE SERIAL NUMBER WAS RESEARCHED BY FAMED THOMPSON COLLECTOR AND RESEARCHER, GORDON HERIGSTAD OF CA, AND NO PREVIOUS OWNER OF RECORD WAS FOUND PRIOR TO US OFFERING THE WEAPON FOR SALE AND SUPPLYING SERIAL NUMBER TO HIM..... HAS A LOW 4 DIGIT SERIAL NUMBER WITH UPPER AND LOWER NUMBERS MATCHING. LOOKS LIKE A GUN FROM OUT OF THE WOODWORK. A CHOICE EXAMPLE OF A VINTAGE THOMPSON! COMPLETE WITH 2O ROUND MAG AND 50 rnd "L" DRUM

All MG's for sale at Autoweapons

#2 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

I love the "low 4-digit serial number" jive. How many weeks/months difference between 4 and 5 digits on the 21's? Jeez.

Thompson greed...it may strike at any moment.

#3 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3451 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

THE GUN WAS HELD BY A COLLECTOR SINCE THE EARLY 1990's AND HAS BEEN PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED INSIDE AND OUT

LOOKS LIKE IT WAS IN A TIME MACHINE

If this Colt TSMG was never messed with and it was in pristine condition, then it might qualify as a 1921-22 firearm brought to 2005 by H.G. Welles. However, the only thing spooky about this TSMG is what sort of condition it was in before it required "restoration inside and out." If GH is correct (and that is hardly a given) that this is another MIA Colt with no past, this sort of wholesale reconditioning must signal some sort of traumatic event. I guess we will have to wait for the pics (exterior only most likely) to appear on their board. Judging by Autoweapons past performance, I bet they have a $34K figure on it.

#4 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3451 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

Now that the pics are up on this under 2900 serial number Colt TSMG, the radical surgery performed on it does not suggest a "time machine" but rather an anachronistic machine.

5th model phony Cutts Comp
Non Remington wood
WWII or later selectors and mag latch
erased witness mark on receiver (from refinish?)
Dubious barrel
Blued over scratch on bottom of frame by serial number- But this would not be the first Colt TSMG to succumb to the dunderhead police armorers who screw the buttstock latch too tightly, thereby exposing the top of the screw, and then slide the buttsotck on the frame leaving behind a lovely deep scratch.

And this is just the outside!

One wonders what this must have looked like before the third rate transformation. Is Autoweapons taking into consideration these things when they priced it for sale? Judging by the hyperbole of their ad copy, a price break is wishful thinking.

#5 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2401 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Arthur,

Good call on that gun. I just looked at the pictures. The barrell is not an original barrel, it only has 26 cooling fins. It is probably a current Numrich replacement barrel. The wood isn't correct either. Wrong sight on the compensator, too!

Not a great restoration job for what they are probably asking for it.

#6 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2882 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:39 PM

I do not know the asking price but Autoweapons is usually at the top end of the price range. Could you imagine how a person would feel if they paid $35,000 (or more) for this Colt Thompson and then took the time to learn exactly what they purchased. Excellent marketing technique calling a re-blue gun a restoration laugh.gif It will be interesting to find out the asking price and then see how long it remains on the market.

#7 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3451 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:19 PM

gijive & TD,

I believe Autoweapons does serious harm to their credibility in advertising this TSMG the way they did. Now to add pics to the ad copy it absolutely undermines their already suspect listing. Why a novice would plunk down the kind of money Autoweapons is famous for asking without consulting someone with knowledge, or even one of the current books on the subject, is inexcusable. Those who do their homework after the purchase and ATF form submissions can either afford their blunders or are laboring under the misapprehension of a money back guarantee in the NFA world.

#8 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:29 PM

Overpriced buggered up Thompsons in the Southeastern PA area seem to be a common sight -- is Allentown considered SE Pennsylvania?

#9 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

"Why a novice would plunk down the kind of money Autoweapons is famous for asking without consulting someone with knowledge, or even one of the current books on the subject, is inexcusable."

Desperate times call for desperate measures..... Until supply catches up to demand, people will listen to all kinds of sanke oil sales pitches in their search for that coveted Thompson of their dreams.... My Colt Thompson is a full/auto/semi/WestHurley that's how desperate I was.... dry.gif

#10 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:37 AM

i guess my biggest complaint in class 3 bizz is this:people who advertise anything m.g. with rarity,one only,all original,pristine cond.new in box never handled...

a new in box gun is this...as new as it came from factory.handled once to remove from box.and everything else still in wrapper.not taken to any gun show's for display or fondling!! or taken apart many time's..

i have asked many dealer's about that gun show gun???

and many have said yes it's been to alot of show's...well guess what,many scrape's mark's sticky finger's have come from gun show's...heck has anybody been to the creek,april or oct. and seen stuff on the table's for display and sale...

i myself have only bought one thompson at the creek.and it was on display for about one hour.after purchase i told the dealer.take it off the table and lock in a case. he said why? i need it for display?? was in a glass case. i told him sorry i bought it now and want it locked up and not seen...

i said if you want to impress and show off.then put up another, or you should not have sold it to me then.
price $8,000.00 around 1993 big buck's then for a colt 1921ac.do the math>

so when i see all this stuff advertised today.and alot being resold six time's from dealer to collector..and so on...everytime it transfer's it pick's up a new story.. and maybe some new wood a part. or shooting use.{ what we shoot these thing's}

it is sad that the colt serie's has finally approached the stage of untouchable unfireable. and glass display or cabinet, or iron vault or safe room.

i am sure this thompson has seen some fun day's...and barrel,wood and part's replaced..and the asking price is future shock now!

would i ever pay that??no way!

will i ever pay even $20,000.00 for a colt in the future nope!

had too many and paid way too little {compared to todays asking price's} for any of them,to want one bad enough again....

was offered lately one of my historical tommy's back....for a mere $30,000.00 wink!! sold it for $8,000.00......

doe's anybody buy their used underwear back after it's thrown out?wink! and at a heavy mark-up........

as i have always said fun,fun,and history.

when the buck's get crazy.....and you would not spend that on the wife or girlfriend.or somehow cheat them out of something to get the gun...then it become's a sickness....

i had it for 33 year's...i am cured fully 100%

it's a one step process...SELL! and be done with it...

maybe being mortal fit's into the equation also..........wink! remember have fun....enjoy life beyond the gun safe..there is a world out there.

enjoy the planet! before you leave it.

take care,ron

#11 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (colt21a @ Aug 5 2005, 12:37 PM)
was offered lately one of my historical tommy's back....for a mere $30,000.00 wink!! sold it for $8,000.00......

doe's anybody buy their used underwear back after it's thrown out?wink!

Ron,
Comparing a $30K Colt to used underwear and sounding credible. You are truly an original. cool.gif

#12 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Lancer @ Aug 5 2005, 11:59 AM)
QUOTE (colt21a @ Aug 5 2005, 12:37 PM)
was offered lately one of my historical tommy's back....for a mere $30,000.00 wink!!  sold it for $8,000.00......

doe's anybody buy their used underwear back after it's thrown out?wink!

Ron,
Comparing a $30K Colt to used underwear and sounding credible. You are truly an original. cool.gif

i guess you never saw the sale on marilyn's stuff!!

and not manson' wink!!

and yes i have fairly good credit...i once got a hart,shaft/her and harpo marx suit on maxwell street{before it was all sold}and turned into high rent district. really cheap...

but then thats a tale for another time...it's off topic not to talk thompson's...

and old underwear is a shxxxxx subject...

old thompson's {gun's}mo-fun!

take care,ron