Photo
- - - - -

New Stock Of Drums Incoming To Sportsmans Guide...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

I live in Ohio and own a Russian SKS (10 shot magazine). I am also one of those dreaded people most members of this board despise, that is until they are in trouble. I am a lawyer (wisper, wisper, shame, shame). While my high school classmates were enjoying life I worked a 40 plus hours a week job and went to college at night for eight (8) years (summers included) to earn my degrees. But I digress. I wanted to purchase a 75 round AK47 drum that had been modified to fit the SKS. After reading the Ohio law it became apparent if I put the 75 round magazine with the Semiautomatic SKS I would be committing a felony since I would then have a firearm of a caliber greater than .22 rimfire that was cabable of firing more than 31 shots with sucessive pulls of the trigger, without reloading, which would make it "Dangerous Ordnance" under Ohio law and thus a Felony to possess that combination. Ohio Law excepts those firearms which are registered with the Federal Government (i.e. machinegun) but since you can't register a semiauto rifle with ATF what could I do? Ahha! Ohio law also allows you to register "Dangerous Ordnance" with the Sheriff for a $50.00 fee. Since I really wanted a 75 round drum for my SKS I applied to the Sheriff. They didn't know what I was talking about and I had to explain the law to them. A stupid law I might add, but since I can't change it, I must obey it. Eventually the sheriff issued me a license and I bought the 75 round drum for my SKS. It is the only permit ever issued by our sheriff and as far as I know the only permit issued in Ohio. Attention all you semiauto MG34, semiauto Browning 1919 and semiauto S&W 76 owners who live in Ohio. If your semiauto is larger caliber than .22 rimfire and capable of firing more than 31 rounds in succession (for example 50 round belt or magazine that will hold more than 30 shots) you had better read 2923.11 of the Ohio Revised Code. PhiOhio, your 10/22 is exempt because it is .22 rimfire.
P.S. I registered the Dangerous Ordnance as "Russian SKS semi-automatic rifle, caliber 7.62x39 with detachable box and drum magazines having an ammunition capacity which permits the rifle to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading". I've seen 50 round SKS magazines advertised for sale but haven't bought any yet. Why did I go to the trouble to obtain a license and pay the $50.00? Because if convicted of a felony I loose my right to own, possess or use a firearm and they take my license to practice law. sad.gif

#42 moparnascar

moparnascar

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

I ordered two and I live in un-restricted Oklahoma. But now thaks to you guys I have ordered a whole bunch of spare parts for my SMG'S from them.

Bill

#43 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:22 PM

Same here I picked up the repro canvas bag and it looks great, shipped really fast and if and when the drums ship there is no extra shipping charges. BTW I thought you lived in AK........

#44 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Aug 2 2005, 01:26 AM)
Is there an Ohio form to complete (doubt it), or do you have an exemplar of a letter/piece of paper that worked, to educate both me and my local sheriff?

Phil,
If you have a C&R FFL, the ATF should have sent you a copy of "State Laws and Ordinances- Firearms 2004-25th edition" purple in color.
The info that needs to be on the application form is laid out in the Ohio Rev. Code. chapter 2923.18, section ( B )

I agree that the license is not required for machine gun owner ship in Ohio, I'm just not sure why.

#45 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:40 AM

Phil: There isn't a form. I will bring a copy of my file and give it to you at the TCA show. The file will include a copy of the "License to possess dangerous ordnance" I mushfaked. P.S. My License number is 2002-45-A. I chose 2002 for the year the license was issued and the 45 for the county number (Licking). The sheriff chose the "A".
P.P.S.S. I forgot to mention in my prior post about semi-automatic MG34s, 1919s and S&W 76s, also a warning for the Ohioans who own a West Hurley of Kahr semi-auto Thompson. A 50 round drum with the firearm makes it a "automatic firearm" and therefore "Dangerous Ordnance"" and thus a felony to possess under current Ohio law.

#46 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

Ohio laws are so complicated!

Here in NY, it's much easier.

1. Is it a machinegun?
2. Does it hold more than 10 rounds?
3. Does it have evil features?
4. Does it have a scary name?

If the answer to any of the above is "yes" we ban it.

#47 skoda

skoda

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

I ordered four and signed up for the member's discount. They gave me the full discount on all four. Of course they won't ship until November (or later, or never) but I saw no limit. I did use the online order system.

#48 moparnascar

moparnascar

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Aug 1 2005, 04:22 PM)
Same here I picked up the repro canvas bag and it looks great, shipped really fast and if and when the drums ship there is no extra shipping charges.  BTW  I thought you lived in AK........

No I live in Oklahoma. There is someone else has a has a handle that is close to moparnascar.

Bill

#49 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (skoda @ Aug 2 2005, 03:45 PM)
I ordered four and signed up for the member's discount. They gave me the full discount on all four. Of course they won't ship until November (or later, or never) but I saw no limit. I did use the online order system.

They'll catch up to you.... Just plan on payin the extra money....