• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

Johny .45, feel free to spread the word on the 42. I haven't advertised it yet so it's still a hush-hush special.

#42 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

philasteen,

Thanks, I will spread the word.

Take Care,

Johnny

#43 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:14 PM

To return to the original comment, the current level of MGs for sale is really the "old" (say about three years ago) level. Remember the good old days? They're back but the prices are a lot higher.

MHO.

MP

#44 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3634 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:02 PM

the good old day's is when you could go out and buy ten nice colt's for $50,000.00 a nice 1918 bar for $5,000.00, and a colt 1919 commercial bar for $6,500.00. and even get some nice belt fed's for under $5,000.00>

sure everything else has risen, but not as much as the crazy class three stuff.

and you have to wonder...who live's in a couple hundred thou house today...and the gun's in the safe are worth more..something is wrong there.......

or the guy sitting in the million $$ crib...and sitting on a mill worth of stuff...

i guess i'm from the old school of stupid economic's...
house value>$500,000.00 gun's $100,000.00 car $25,000.00

not trailer or house value>$50,000.00 car $45,000.00 and gun's $200,000.00

but then again i have always done thing's a little different. must have been too many "combat episode's"at a early age.

or at the age of ten running in the back alley's squirting young girl's....... with the plastic tommy!! wink!

and yelling get down incoming!!

take care,ron

#45 amafrank

amafrank

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:MG's of all types. Cannons that can be transported by normal people. Fine firearms of all descriptions.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

I think you guys are being a little paranoid here....
The dealers you all are looking at are known for the collections they come across, broker and/or sell.
Collections tend to come up for sale in fits and starts. This has been going on for quite some time. Old collector dies and his widow sells the collection. Since most of the guys on this board are watching Thompsons you don't see all the other collections that have gone by in the last few years. In the last 6 or 7 years I'd seen one PPD40 then blammo in the last year I've seen 8 more. Is this a glut of PPD's or a sudden sale because of the economy??? I don't think so. I think we have just hit a couple collections that have a lot of Thompsons in them. A lot of the other theorys sound feasible too so don't take this as a flame...just my opinion.

Jonny 45- the M249 that was advertised at $47K is indeed a pre-86 gun. I've heard of and seen transferable M240-MAG58's but I don't think there are any real transferable 249's. The pre-86 guns come up pretty frequently as there are quite a few around. Prices started at around $75 K a couple years back but seem to have stabilized around the $50K mark.

Frank

#46 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

There are two (and only two) transferable M249s

#47 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3634 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:37 AM

i really think the best one's are,the one's that advertise at really high dollar...they get no response in a few days.{the world of the net they need instant satisfaction}

and they drop the price like a bomb.gun is at $12,000.00

all of a sudden they want $9,999.00

why they didn't advertise at the real deal selling price in the beginning,maybe a little over the cost of it.

or the ad that read's,they had this forever now selling. then you find out they did a trade months ago for it.

a bold face b.s.story...or they make up some history on the item to sell it for higher..

i guess now it's all the hype and t.g.out there to sell! sell! sell!

and when people talk about collector's..for the most part all gone...now it's dealer/collector /trader/ name tag:

if they can make a quick kill buck fast..it's sold... at least they should admit that...and cut out the collector honory name tag:

the market has changed big time in ten year's...have i changed?sure. more grey,less time for work, more for play.

do i hope someday to see it all come back.never happen.

"one thing in life that always remain's the same is change"

do some get the point out there..never happen... however by the end of this year and maybe the next...price's will not get as crazy...as people somehow smarten up. and ask them self. do i really need that at that price..

like the barrett/jackson car auction's...hype sale's,hype car's.hype price's...and they advertise it for the normal guy...wink! what are they smokin "cheech and chong"

so as we all go back to daily life.keep a straight head.stay safe be prepared.
and stay the course.never pay too much!!

and if you go without...don't worry life's too short anyhow...

and as the dust settle's on the tombstone's.
devine has new stuff to peddle.

take care,ron

#48 TNKen

TNKen

• Regular Group
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, machine guns, defensive handgun competition, snow skiing and ski patrol, my children

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

Now there's a way to drive up MG prices. A televised MG auction by Barrett-Jackson.

Don't anyone suggest this to Devine, next thing you know, Deveine would be tacking on a fee based upon the numbers of viewing public. :-)

Ken

#49 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3634 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

i can see it now black suited shade wearing hawker's.. shaking the hands of beer gutted, flower shirted baggy pant's wearing shower shoe fitted az.buyer's..

oh and the straw hat... and some newly transplanted cali. buyer's...with mo -money then brain cell's...buying that part of american history...

do i hear $85,000.00 for this slighty pitted redone colt..unmatched wood with bulged barrel??

oh wait we have a blowhard in the audience...he will pay $100,000.00 herman give that man another mike's hard lemonade... "don't let him sober up"keep up the bid's...

we have a drum magazine holds 39 rounds rare.only made a few thousand.{who wanted them then??} bid starts at $16,000.00

and people in the audience are impressed with the selling and buying frenzy....and wanting to shake hands with the buyer's...

what is it with the human condition...that you'd want to shake hands with some a-hole who just paid too much for something that everybody involved in the hype put' s a percieved artificial value on for a fashion show...be it car's or gun's??

is it to say good boy?? you did well..buy another! or wish we looked like the bloated unshaven a-hole in the hooter's shirt.with the tattooed lady with him..

or a dream of we could have owned it...if we just had mo-money and less sense.

we could be that shakin hands with everybody in the crowd a-hole...yep!!

well let the fun begin..........i just want to be the ticket taker..for the 20,000 sheeple who show up..and make a buck on each...

so i can buy that shirt.the baggy pant's,the shades and panama hat.and the sandal's or shower shoe's.. and say i'm one of "the guy's" wink!!

how far some have fallen..get the net. double.wink!

remember have fun,stay sane.take care,ron

#50 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:09 PM

Barrett-Jackson has perfected the art of superficially raising the bids on supposed legitimate classic vehicle auctions. He actually allowed the owner of a vintage automobile to bid on his own car that was up for auction.
The owner was only interested in the publicity of an overblown recorded bidding figure that he himself created.

Ever since "Speed-Vision" (now just "Speed Channel") decided to carry Jackson's Scottsdale auction live for three days, the PT Barnum of the collector car market couldn't resist the implications of coast to coast fraud.

#51 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

Man!... ohmy.gif ..you guys paint a pretty dim future for the NFA community and in particular the Thompson collector.. sad.gif ...I think I`ll change channels for awhile.. huh.gif

#52 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3634 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (21 smoker @ Aug 12 2005, 07:06 PM)
Man!... ohmy.gif ..you guys paint a pretty dim future for the NFA community and in particular the Thompson collector.. sad.gif ...I think I`ll change channels for awhile.. huh.gif

watch a few hr's of oprah and morbid povich,and you will be back faster then you can empty a 50rd seymour drum...

look around you smell the brew in the air....they are already here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S TOO LATE!!

take care,ron

and class three n.f.a. has always been dim.it's a dark subject.bring that up around the coffee machine or watercooler next time.wink!!

#53 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

That`s just it Ron,..I have broached the NFA subject around watercooler and everyone seems to perk right up....have to get the boys and girls back to work sometimes and refocus on their jobs...btw it is my watercooler... laugh.gif ... wink.gif

#54 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:57 AM

I retract my earler comment about 50K swinging the monitor - the guy is firm on price.

#55 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3634 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:37 AM

he just needs one of those gotta have it buyer's..

funny thing anything i ever wanted in class three at any one time. i did get it. however when a monitor was offered to me around 1992 for $6,500.00 i perked right up and said SOLD!

then for some odd reason the gun never appeared again........it was from a well known east coast dealer. worked for a gun magazine outfit?????

after that lost interest...why bother chasing stuff...life is short..

so if somebody perks up with the $85,000.00 they can brag they have it in the safe.it will never get shot.or handled.might as well hand it over to a museum so other's can see it..in fact go to rock island il. they have one hangin...wink!

if only mr.chase knew what he had back when...he would have not been robbin bank's.....

the end of the "monitor saga"

story to be continued next week,on other high priced.m.g's....m240 m249 anyone...or wait the villa /perosa

and poncho villa's lewis gun??
and can't forget the "midas thompson"

take care,ron of respect.

#56 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

Ah yes,..`the Midas Thompson`...just last week I offered to test fire it... laugh.gif ..but was turned down...go figure!.. wink.gif