16 replies to this topic

#1 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1701 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:52 AM

user posted image

Here's the next project a 1921 post sample. I"m gonna have it engraved and thought I'd sound out the board on the a possible serial number.

Winning suggestion gets to come shoot my gun when its done.

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:08 AM

1hotgat

#3 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:29 AM

Wow Dan,....you don`t waste anytime do ya,..who`s receiver are you using?...I know where you can get some really nice wood!... laugh.gif ...keep us posted on your progress,this should make a very interesting thread... wink.gif

#4 ACARLG

ACARLG

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

YouDirtyRabbit

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

Edited by ACARLG, 09 August 2005 - 04:32 PM.

#5 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

A1921TSMG

#6 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1701 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far. My initial thought was just above the 15,040 that colt left off with, or one of the numbers reported as destroyed at some point in the past. However, I like some of the other ideas a lot. Shows what a creative bunch we are.

#7 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2086 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:12 AM

Careful Dan,

You know I have 15043..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I prefer the Wabbit!

#8 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:16 AM

"HOMELANDSECURITY"

#9 adlake

adlake

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Fords(1982 Ford Fairmont,351-C, AOD,sport style Futura.), 1920-1930 lifestyles, all thompson guns (except M-1).

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:20 AM

So who's reciever is this? Kinda dying to know. Here's my entry No#1TSMGUY-lol-adlake

#10 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1701 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:33 AM

Phili ordnance receiver. Came in the white but needed lots of polishing (still needs more). Gives me something to do sitting in front of the tv. At 600 grit now. Its not a bad receiver, feed ramp is the worst part, lots of work needed there. Ejector cut wasn't perfectly timed, had to have a little "taken of the top" to get the ejector to screw down properly.

#11 amafrank

amafrank

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:MG's of all types. Cannons that can be transported by normal people. Fine firearms of all descriptions.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:32 AM

Hi Deerslayer,
A few notes from one that has built a post 86 1928 from a Philly ord receiver. The feed ramp needs lots of work in order to use stick mags. When you do the extractor cut make sure you do full width or the .22 Ciener conversion barrel won't fit. Use your own barrel and bolt to fit things up when you are cutting the main slot. If you go by the drawings your headspace may be off or the hammer timing won't be right. Finishing the receivers is not too bad as Bob does a pretty good job of keeping things flat. If you need engraving done I can digitize the markings and engrave them for you. I've done a couple 28's and M1's for guys. Mike here in Indy can vouch for my 28 as well...
Thats about it. Have at it, these are a pretty good start to a very nice Thompson.
Frank

#12 adlake

adlake

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Fords(1982 Ford Fairmont,351-C, AOD,sport style Futura.), 1920-1930 lifestyles, all thompson guns (except M-1).

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

amafrank

I am in need of a enraved frame. Or a engraver what do you charge?-adlake

#13 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

Here is a morbid one for you : 21429 or 2141929 or some such combination of 2, 14 and 1929 or just go all out 14FEB1929. sad.gif

#14 ZLP

ZLP

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:37 PM

Please forgive this newbie's ignorance. Right now I have to make due w/ my semi-auto, but I was wondering if someone could explain how building a Thompson from parts works.

How is the completed gun registered (or is the receiver already registered)?

Can just anyone do this, or would I first have to be a class II manufacturer or something?

Would this route be any cheaper that paying some of the current asking prices for a '21?
Any help / info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
ZLP

#15 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1701 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:56 PM

Good question, I don't know if it answered in the frequently asked questions but here's the short version. You can't build a parts kit into a new machine gun.

You can utilize a lower with some modifications in building a few nice looking semi auto.

You have to be a class 2 dealer to make a new machine gun. It is a post sample gun that is legally registered, but only sellable to another dealer or law enforcement.

There are yearly license fees, and you are not suppose to become a dealer just to "further your collection" but have to be engaged in business.

Another factor in my state is that its one of the 15 that doesn't allow machine gun ownership unless you are a class 2 dealer.

So, lets say you have your heart set on owning a thompson. You can pay the one time fee of $15,000 or more (sometimes a lot more), or you can go into business with the idea of making some money as a dealer and then have the ability to make a machine gun for very little money. On the financial side, you pay a smaller amount yearly (in licenses) or one large amount once (for a rare gun). Its an apple to orange cost/price type comparison in some ways.

I've filled out a lot of paperwork, paid license fees, made some money as a dealer (hopefully more in the future) and now have a thompson that didn't cost me $20,000. So far so good.

Pictures coming soon of the finished gun!

#16 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

Do you have to do so many NFA sales or demos per year to prove you are in it for the business and not a collector?

#17 amafrank

amafrank

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:MG's of all types. Cannons that can be transported by normal people. Fine firearms of all descriptions.

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:40 PM

Hi Sgt,
You are pretty much on your own to prove that you are in business and not a collector. There are no set rules that are written down that I know of. Every three years you have to renew the FFL and there is a question on the form that says- how many firearms have you acquired in the last 3 years? and another question that says- How many firearms have you transferred out in the last 3 years? The biggest thing with the BATF and licensees is that if you don't show any transfers out but do show transfers in they will not renew your license.That covers both title I and title II stuff. When it comes to NFA transfers they know how many you have done and they combine that with your title I transfers to see whether you need to be investigated as a "collector" dealer. The FFL is required for all transfers and whether you do any NFA stuff is not the big thing to them normally. You pay the yearly Special Occupational Tax to handle the Title II (NFA) stuff and if you do no NFA transfers they don't care. You paid the tax for nothing. But if you transfer in a bunch of transferable guns and sit on them or if you transfer in a lot of post or pre-86 dealer samples with no transfers out it pops another red flag up. Best thing to do is make sure you do some transfers both ways if you have the license.
hope that clarifies a bit.
Frank