23 replies to this topic

#21 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

Devlin,

Did you notice the difference in the indentation of the latch button area on your DR stock? As DR hypothesizes, his three-way numbered stocks, while admittedly not Colt Navy ones, might have been manufactured in 1935 for some modified TSMG. This would account for:

1) the lack of anchor
2) the blued latch
3) the numbered latch
4) the WWII style oval latch indentation.
5) The different size number font on the wood itself.

It is much more than just the addition of the WWII type (or Springfield type) swivel that separates these stocks from the 1921 Colt/Remington types.

Did the pristine Colt/Remington wood you purchased back in 1990 include the hardware for the buttstock?

#22 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

Devlin,

Since antoniah2's ebay DR stock slide has a matching number to the wood and buttplate, it is the same one DR sent him. The portion of the slide I am referring to that has the numbered part stamped on it is the actual slide metal and not the nickel (or blue in this case) spring latch mechanism. It is this numbered part that has the oval recessed area for the button that is not the same shape as Colt/Remington 1921 slides.

Did you know that the swivel on your DR stock was of Springfield manufacture at the time, or is this news to you since DR's post? I was wondering why you didn't mention the type of swivel before.

The fact that the guy you purchased your complete set of 1921 wood had two complete sets surely means that there was no shortage of replacement 1921 complete stocks to satisfy the demand back in the 20's & 30's. This is why I am perplexed why these "1935" type stocks exist at all when if the only thing needed to match a then ordered horizontal stock with swivel was the addition of a swivel for existing Remington buttsotcks. Why make different buttplates with different font numbers and different slides and refinish all these stocks when they were already unused or NOS?

Going by DR's new explanation for these mysterious non-Colt Navy stocks, would you pay $500 for these today?

#23 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

Devlin,

I've already considered that, but the DR stocks don't seem to fit into known Colt/Remington patterns. Judging from the number of anchor stocks I have examined, and the couple that I have in my possession that are bona fide Colt/Remington & Navy, the only difference that I found from stocks in the 1000 range up to stocks in the 8000 range is the absence of the second "R" on the inside buttplate. Aside from that, they have identical font sizes stamped into the wood and un- numbered, no "R" marked slides with nickel latches. I can't say exactly when the buttplates lost the additional "R," but perhaps at some point over the 5000 mark?

I've wondered about these DR stocks since I saw his ad over a dozen years ago. If I had purchased one thinking it would be correct as a replacement stock for a Colt Navy, I would have been at the least disappointed upon opening the package. I might have been put into the awkward position of antoniah2, who attempted (unsuccessfully) to get $100 less than what DR is currently selling them for today.

Perhaps if DR advertised them as "Colt/Hybrid Stocks," although I am not sure how unique, or even desirable, they are considering DR has/had at least a dozen of them at one time, then the buyer would be able to make a better determination as to how they would use said stock.

But since DR still has examples of these stocks a dozen years later, I'm thinking even in the climate of "Thompson Greed," Colt Navy (and 1921) collectors have eschewed the DR stocks for the peace of mind of anchors, nickel, larger thumb areas on the slide release and un-numbered slides.

#24 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:42 PM

Devlin,

http://www.autoweapo.../1001thomp.html

Click on the above autoweapons ad link and scroll down to the last photo. This is the infamous reworked/refinished 1921 Colt that we know has WWII grips (or later), wrong barrel, wrong Cutts, and wrong unmarked buttstock with swivel (WWII era?) and showing the smaller thumb area around the slide button (not the button itself) not found on Remington marked stocks, but with a nickel latch, which might not be original to the slide.

This is a perfect example of not having the necessary components available to replace lost/broken/worn original parts to complete a restoration on a boat anchor. I wonder if the stock on this puppy is one of DR's?