• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

The first "real" Thompson I ever handled in my life (other than a Mattel that I coveted til it fell apart) was an M1 that a Dealer in Charlotte, NC had many years ago. It was the grey/green park and gosh it weighed so much compared to what I thought it would. It was $750.00, a huge sum when you are 18 years old and I was living in a non-class 3 state so I couldn't get it. I think I like this one many times more than my 1928 and that's nothing to do with it being a Westie....maybe if I had a Bridgeport 1928 to go with it I'd feel differently but I don't know.. All I know is I'm real happy with it. The wood and finish are just mind blowing to me as they are stock military....That picture really doesn't do the stock enough justice since you really can't see how the light moves that burled figuring.. tongue.gif

I don't know it's history yet, I'll contact the original seller and see what all he knows.... wink.gif

#22 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:53 PM

I never get tired of looking at the new acquisitions. Congrats on a very nice looking gun.

#23 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

H J,

Congratulations!

Your TSMG is just a few thousand above mine. Looking at your serial number and model stamps, first it was an M1, then you will notice the "A" and the "1" are not the same as the "M1" as they were added when the gun was first made, and finally (as noted above) it was "XX'd" back to an M1 with the use of an M1 bolt.

FWIW, mine stayed an M1 with the added "A" and "1".

Enjoy many happy times with your Thompson!

MP

#24 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that goes "Boom".

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

Congrats from another fellow M1 - M1A1 owner!

No better feeling like getting one of these babies. Well, almost? Maybe?