Yawn......another L Drum Dump Movie

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 15 October 2003 - 08:58 PM

dry.gif Could it be the differences between the horizontal front grip and the vertical front grip?

It looks as if the gun would impose more "leverage" on the vertical grip (due to the positioning of the shooters hand in relationship to the barrel), thereby making it a little harder to control (at least from shoulder fire.)

Just my $.02

Norm

#22 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:08 PM

Chris. It looks like your shooting backwards. Your right shoulder is to far back, should be more forward. The stance you want is "like your pushing a car". In other words, "put your shoulder into it boy!" As my old man use to say. tongue.gif Plus look at some of my videos and pictures and you'll see that CJ & myself have at least a good hundred pounds on you. laugh.gif But really, try the shoulder thing, the first thing I was tought to do in shooting was put your shoulder the gun rests on, into it. Plus lean forward on your left foot just a little more,slight bend at the knee and waa-la, it really helped me alot in control. Hope it helps. Try another 200-500 rounds tomorrow and see if it helps.

#23 Hurridale

Hurridale

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:27 PM

CJ and Chris,

Great fun! I haven't yet figured out how to post a picture, let alone a video.

Chris, you were right about CJ's gun seeming to fire quicker. I timed Chris's burst at around 3.1 seconds, and CJ's around 2.7 or so. This gives rate of fire around 970 for Chris's gun and 1100 rpm for CJ's.

What kind of ammo are you running?

#24 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:13 AM

Hurridale:

I am using Sellier and Bellot (S&B) 230 FMJ I think.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

#25 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 06:49 AM

CJ told me he is using old military surplus stuff. Some of that is hotter than what we have know isn't it?

#26 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 16 October 2003 - 07:32 AM

Hey, thanks for all the comments! It's my first attempt at a video but I think it turned out pretty well. Mike and I are shooting on Saturday and I'm sure there'll be another few seconds to post after that.

I am shooting green can, circa 42, surplus ammo. Dirty, dirty, dirty. But cheap and good brass. I've gone through about 1500 rnds. so far without even a glitch. My gun is an AO 28A1 and the drum is a Seymour. Both have been to the school of PK and you can see the results! I am also running one of PK's 21 kits and like it a lot. I think maybe this weekend I'll switch back to the 28 set-up and see how the RPM compare.

Chris, I did another flick a few days a go and had mine timed at 970 as well so, it maybe the codec or the compression of the file or what ever. As far as accuracy, don't be fooled by the angle of the camera. That little beast sure moves around a bunch! I did pretty much distroy a 10 inch paper plate at about 25 yards but with all that smoke, who knows until it's all over. sad.gif

Anyway, sure is a hoot. Thanks again for the comments and stand by for the sequel. And, Mike, on the out weighing Chis thing ... speak for yourself. I'm probably in the 65-70 range, you may be in the c note.

CJR

#27 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 07:58 AM

Mike, the GI ammo is not hotter than current production. That which I have choreographed has been right on the mark; if anything a bit inconsistent, which is understandable considering itís age.

#28 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:41 AM

Phil,

That's Sir Brickyard. Per Walter's post of earlier. Please make a note of it ...

Have a good day.

#29 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:59 PM

I like the sound of that, humm, Sir Full Auto 45, or Sir Mike. Either will be fine thank you.
I have a idea for the video portion of this shoot Saturday. Just remember the phrase, "Their comin' right for us!"

#30 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 07:05 AM

Phil:

What a thing to read laugh.gif even before feeding the dogs!! I'm printing this one. Planning the pictures as we speak. wink.gif

CJR

#31 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 17 October 2003 - 07:27 AM

Whatever you do, donít screw up and hit Snoopy; that would be very bad press indeed! laugh.gif