Mgc Thompson Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 knobcreeknut

knobcreeknut

• Regular Group
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:47 PM

found an mgc thompson today but it is in really bad shape. front gripand mount are broken off, winding key on drum missing, stock wont detach,bolt that holds lower to upper appears to be stripped out and the finish is shot. anyone know about fixing these things? can probably get it pretty cheap, but dont want it if it cant be fixed. it is a prop at on of those old time photo places that every tourist town is full of. I told the owner I would get her a new plastic one (soft air ) if she would part with it. probably an even trade. FWIW, i talked to one other shop in the same town that had thrown away there old one out about six months ago. might be a good source to find one if anyone is looking.

#2 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:28 PM

Might try asking over at this forum:

mp40modelguns

They have some good information about parts and repair of model guns.
KJ

#3 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:41 PM

Hey KNC,

Your post got me curious as to what parts were interchangeable between my MGC and the other true THompson parts I have around. ONe thing I found is that my WH 28 buttstock would fit fine on the MGC though my true 28 stocks did not fit on my WH 28 lower. Also the key from the MGC would fit my new Kahr drum though my new Kahr key did not quite fit, but I suspect that could be remedied easily.

FYI.

#4 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1686 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:00 AM

JB weld seems to bond pretty well to the MGC "metal" in my experience. I used it to fix a bolt or two and in experimenting, tried to break the JB weld loose and the weld material broke rather than came loose from the metal. The front gripmount was broken on one and I milled a slot in the receiver and put in a simple piece of flat steel the same length as a hanger and screwed it in place. Then made a new front grip. Drilled all the way through the grip and steel into the barrel. Then ran a self tapping type screw through the whole affair. The barrel took the threading well and the whole thing felt very sturdy. Then I disasembled everything and dapped some JB weld on the parts and in the threaded holes for good measure before putting it all back together.

Redoing the finish is another problem. I don't know what the original stuff was the flaked loose, but I took appliance type spray paint and painted all the metal black (other paints seemed to come loose pretty easy). Looked pretty good when I was done. Sold it on ebay when it was finished.
Dan