• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:42 AM

I know several members of this board make a living from gunsmithing Thompsons. I don't want to step on anyone's toes with this question. If the board owners or any other member feels that I am asking for information that may take money out of the gunsmith's pocket then I apologise and will delete this post.

I have a 1928 frame that I want to machine to fit a Kahr semi. Like I stated above I know there are members here who do this work, but I have the machinery and would like to do it myself.

From my looking at the frame and semi parts, it looks like I can use a spacer to set the trigger over to the right. Another spacer will move the sear block to the left. My question is should the spacer be welded in place to satisfy the ATF? I plan to mill the front of the frame to match the profile of the Kahr and mill a slot for the SA firing pin. Would this be enough to meet ATF regs on a semi build or does the spacers need to be permanently attached? Thanks for any info, and again I apologise if anyone feels that I am asking for trade secrets.

KJ

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:34 AM

The spacer does not need to be permanently attached; there is no regulation governing the mods you would make in a “normal” conversion.

Doug Richardson publishes a manual outlining the details of this mod, including dimensions, etc. I suggest you contact him and obtain one, the job will come out better in the end. His contact info is in the FAQ.

Have fun!

#3 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:26 AM

Thanks PK. Never thought there would be a manual for this. I will contact Doug.

KJ