Need To Remove Barrel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blhar15

blhar15

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:48 PM

I need someone qualifed to remove a Thompson M1A1 barrel from a demilled receiver. Does anyone know who the best and quickest person to do this would be?

Thanks

Edited by blhar15, 04 September 2005 - 02:48 PM.

#2 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

Depending on your location, Damon is in NY, and PK in CO. I would think that most smiths could remove it for you. The tricky part is reinstalling it, maintaining proper headspace.

#3 slowfinger

slowfinger

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:22 PM

Blhar15, if all else fails and it's still tough, put it in a well ventilated area and soak it in gasoline with a little trans oil will seep in there and loosen it. I work as a mech. and thats what we do with tight stuborn stuff that we don't want to destroy in the process. Oh leave it soaking overnight....Slowfinger wink.gif

#4 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:17 AM

IF you have the right tools they spin right off. Without the right tools it’s a bitch and the risk of damage is real.

I agree with hardrede that solvents are not enough, and that the procedure he describes will work. But you will loose your paperweight, expose the parts you desire to save to possible damage and expend some effort.

#5 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:55 PM

I agree with PK...have the right tools and they come right off. Not worth the risk to monkey with it. The time you have invested plus the risk of damaging good parts just isn't worth it.

Damon

#6 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

Unless you have a lot of time - send to Pk or someone to remove - If you are going to put on a real gun you will have to send it out anyway.

#7 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1031 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:03 AM

Place the barrel in vice...with padded jaws!

Use a muffler tool with a blunt end on the receiver remenant, the striking force usually will spin the receiver right off. You may need to heat it (reciever)with a torch.