Drum Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

ok now i know u can leave mags loaded forever as long as u rotate the ammo once in a great while to keep it from deforming, now what i wanted to know is if its safe to leave the drum loaded and wound, whats the longest you would do this for? i like knowing these things

#2 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:18 PM

Loaded and wound ?

It's one thing to leave it loaded but I definately would NOT leave it wound.

Dave

#3 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

thats what i figured but i figured i should ask

#4 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1008 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:37 AM

shotgun: If I load a drum in advance I wind it 1 click to keep tension on the first bullet. When ready to shoot I wind the rest of the clicks.

#5 adlake

adlake

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Fords(1982 Ford Fairmont,351-C, AOD,sport style Futura.), 1920-1930 lifestyles, all thompson guns (except M-1).

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:15 PM

hawksnest, shotgun_lobotomy

Thats some good sense, I do the same thing as above. Keeps that one or two shells from "abandoning ship" and rolling around in the sand. tongue.gif -adlake

#6 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

From what I remember reading (or seeing) 1 to 2 clicks when stored and no more.

#7 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:51 PM

I load a drum with all 50 to wind to 10 and thats where it stays. I could just see me saying to a critter outside, "Hang on now while I click this drum 7 or 8 times. "

I empty the drums every now and then and reload. They work everytime and have for years.

#8 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:04 PM

Shotgun: I have 4 "L" Drums and 1 "C" drum loaded and ready for the range as we speak. I wait till I am ready to shoot them before winding, why would anyone do otherwise...don't think it's a very good idea with winded drums for traveling or storage, so why do it?

Mike Hammer wink.gif

#9 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Mike Hammer @ Sep 13 2005, 05:04 PM)
why would anyone do otherwise...don't think it's a very good idea with winded drums for traveling or storage, so why do it?

Mike Hammer wink.gif

Not everyone only shoots paper and non breathing targets with thier TSMG. I shoot critters in the yard with mine and I don't want to fool around trying to get a drum ready. smile.gif

#10 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:30 PM

yeah see im not talking about leaveing it loaded for 3 months, maybe a week, i can just walk out on my back pourch and fire away and like to have my gear ready lol, i have at least one mag for each of my guns always loaded, i know its a myth about standard stack mags springs goin bad from being loaded i just wasnt sure about the spring in a drum.