The Wait

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:18 PM

I've been waiting patiently for my Savage papers. I just noticed that it has been over 4 months since my transfer tax check was cashed. Do you think it is too early to call and see what's up? The suspense is killing me.

#2 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:27 PM

My transfer took 89 days from went it went pending. Wouldn't hurt to call....

#3 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3464 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:44 PM

I did a Form 4 recently and it took 69 days from date of check being cashed to approval. I would definitely call and find out the status of your application to see if it is at least pending.

#4 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:49 PM

It couldn't hurt, IMHO. I'm convinced that it would have taken longer if I had not called the County Pistol Permit Office a few times to see about my pistol permit. The County Judge just signed my pistol permit. It took 18 months, because I committed the 'grave sin' or error of allowing my doctor to prescribe Prozac for me for depression in New York State! blink.gif Regards, Walter

#5 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 06:19 PM

Walter just tell them you were depressed because you didn't have a gun!?! biggrin.gif

#6 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 15 October 2003 - 06:30 PM

Nick, many a truth is spoken in jest, and I think you hit the bull's eye! rolleyes.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#7 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:24 PM

Thanks guys for the input. Now I'm a little concerned that they might have lost my papers, like they did with my SBR. At least they cashed the check this time. If something is wrong with the application, wouldn't you guess that they would have at least sent the stuff back by now? I'll give a call tomorrow and keep you posted.

#8 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:24 PM

I've got two transfers pending, and I called ATF the other day. Seems like a pretty routine request to them. The guy who answered the phone pulled up the info on his computer immediately.

With the first gun, a WH M1A1, the seller tells me he received a postcard acknowledging receipt of the papers on Aug. 18. My check cleared Aug. 20. I called a couple of weeks ago, and ATF said it went pending Sept. 24.

My check for the second gun, a WH 28, cleared my bank Sept. 3. It went pending Sept. 23 -- a day earlier than the M1A1! Go figure!

#9 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4608 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 06:59 AM

My last form 4 took 4 months to the day from when they cashed the check.

#10 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 16 October 2003 - 08:31 AM

My $.02

45 days from pending. Just my history.

#11 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2191 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 01:07 PM

My WH M1 pending since July 23rd. Nothing yet!

#12 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1029 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:40 PM

My last three transfers averaged 100 days from date I mailed the paperwork and $200.00 for transfer.

#13 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 04:22 PM

Somewhere on the Web within the last few months I saw a list of the ATF Examiners (there are only 5 or 6, as I recall) and their respective times to process forms. As I recall, all were about 90 days from the date the form went pending. Of course, vacations, personal business, sickness, and the like may affect a particular Examiner's time on a particular case.

At any rate, you may want to find the site (anybody know the URL?) and see if your Examiner is slow, fast, or average.

My Form 4 took right around 90 days from pending earlier this year.

Good Luck!

#14 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:16 PM

NFA info:

http://www.triplebre...a_examiners.htm

Call, be polite, be humble ... EVEN THOUGH THESE PEOPLE WORK FOR YOU !!!! I've always found them to be fairly helpful if you don't push too hard. HTH

CJR

#15 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 09:14 PM

How do you know the name of your examiner?

#16 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4608 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:16 PM

First letter of last name.

#17 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 12:00 AM

Just to give an update, I gave them a call today and they said it was pending. I asked about why it seems to be taking longer than usual and they said that they were running a little behind. I feel a lot better knowing that at least the paperwork is not lost.

My examiner is Dawn Henson. Looks like she has a decent rating, with turn around of about 3.5 months. Not too far off with mine. I'll just sit tight and try to think about something else.

#18 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 17 October 2003 - 01:27 AM

My last SMG purchase, the Colt 1921 #389 took 3 days for the permit (that was 2 day delay because of the mail there and back) and it cost nothing. rolleyes.gif Sorry! wrong! I forgot the 40 cents for the stamp on the application form. huh.gif
"Eat ya heart out guys"!!! wink.gif
Murray.

#19 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 06:52 AM

Ouch! Murray, that hurts. Ha! Actually, I'm glad there are countries who haven't destroyed all the old beauties and have allowed its good citizens to own them easily. You may have answered this before, but are you able to fire yours at approved places, or are there restictions that prevent this?

#20 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:56 AM

Full Auto,

I don't think I follow. Do they give out the name of the examiner when you call? (They didn't volunteer that info when I called.) I have heard that some guys get post cards acknowleding receipt of the application, but I haven't gotten any, and mine have been pending since late Sept.