The Wait

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 17 October 2003 - 10:55 AM

Gunner:

Scrol down on the Triplebreak link above and see the reasoning. If company, i.e. ACME Sports, then it's an A. If transfering from an individual, Bill Wilson, then it's a W.

I call, give the ser# and the transferOR's name. Remember, it's still their gun until the transfer is approved so they may not give you any information unless the little box on the bottom of the form 4 is checked authorizing them to do so.

Have the person/company you're buying from call and check if the GS-4 in DC won't talk. Pending late Sept.? I'll bet it's another 30 days. I know, I hate it too.

HTH

#22 Murray

Murray

New Zealand Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:1921 and 1928 Thompsons, Luger pistols.

Posted 17 October 2003 - 02:33 PM

Sgt,
There are Army and Air force ranges that have full auto shoots where you can take your guns along and of course we have pistol clubs.
The easiest thing however is our bureaucracy which is not tied down by various departments. Most fire-arms in private hands in our country are controlled by the Police department. Our Arms Act was written by Government with very close cooperation with hunting, shooting, collecting groups and thus we have sensible laws with a minimum of paper.
There are anti gun groups here that want change primarily because they base thier ideas on what they see on American television programs and films and seem to accept that what is perceived is the norm.
We also have a very strong anti gun lobby by the Quakers (American based) down here.
I loved reading the report about your recent Knob Creek shoot. The same activity is growing here but mainly with the "Black powder" boys and the mountain men and OUR civil war re-actment groups. (that is the New Zealand Wars of 1845-1868 that I am refering to)
Also a growing group of WW1 and WW2 reinactment groups complete with armed restored vehicles with 50 cal Brownings etc at most of the Air shows here. Air shows are very popular which is strange as the Kiwi is a flightless bird.
Kind wishes
Murray

#23 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 17 October 2003 - 05:23 PM

There is no need to bother the examiner unless there appears to be a problem. Most would consider it “bad manners”. The receptionist has access to the database that will tell you the general status; just give them the serial number and your name. If your gun has been pending less that 4 months, be patient. At 5 months I’d want to talk to the examiner.

My $.02

#24 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3464 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:06 PM

I don't think it is an imposition on ATF to give them a call after 2 months to check the status of an application and see if, and when, it went into pending. Otherwise you may be prolonging the delay in your paperwork for something as silly as an incorrectly filled out form, missing paperwork, lost check, etc. ATF used to send you back a letter stating they received your application and who was assigned to it. Now they just assume you will stand on your head until two seasons change. The only way this process could take 4 months is if the paperwork was sent back to the transferer for corrections, or the FBI received a mass mailing of fingerprint cards from every airport screener in the nation.

#25 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 23 October 2003 - 09:14 PM

If there was something wrong with the application, would that come up on the receptionists' screen, when they look up your serial number? They cashed my check on 6/10/03

#26 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 29 October 2003 - 04:19 PM

Arthur was correct; my application was kicked back. I called the dealer today and they said that the application was returned to them and after making a minor correction, they sent it back to the Feds on Oct 21. No one would tell me anything, until I dug into it.

I almost forgot; if any of you first timers file a form 4, be sure that the Sherriff indicates his title next to his name. Jeeeeesssh! All this time I have been imagining all kinds of scary stuff.