Penny Drum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2061 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hey Phil! Is that you trying to get a drum for $.01??? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

http://www.gunbroker...p?Item=37578499

I knew they were not that popular..... but I guess for a penny even Soumi Drum lovers can't resist!

#2 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:24 AM

Man Phil, you must want it bad. I bid .02 (outbid) and then $1.00 (outbid again). I give up! I wish I had your money!

#3 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:17 PM

"50-round Suomi quadruple row feed 9mm stick"...huh?... unsure.gif ...Phil, you gotta post a pic of that one.. biggrin.gif ...please?.... wink.gif

#4 Roland the Thompsongunner

Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I am into motorcycles both dirt and street. Musclecars, and WWII reenacting and weapons.

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:59 PM

I got one of those mags and I converted it to use in my PPSH41. They are really neat and very compact. You need the loader to get the rounds in though. These mags are like 15 bucks a piece..you cant beat that and they work great! Dan

#5 Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I am into motorcycles both dirt and street. Musclecars, and WWII reenacting and weapons.

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:47 AM

Phil,
I got my mags from sarco about 3 or 4 months back. They were 14.95 each or 10 for 135 bucks. Check their website under mg parts and go to the suomi section. Yes you are correct about the rounds. I have my gun set up in 9mm now for cheaper shooting. I also use it quite a lot for reinactments and I use a blanked 9mm barrel. To use these mags in my ppsh I had to weld an extension on the front and file it to form a feed ramp. the back lock up only needed minor alteration to fit my gun. They work almost 100% with live 9mm ammo, but they are a little finicky with blanks since they are shorter. I like the Thompson 9mm conv. Thats awesome! Dan

#6 Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:39 AM

Phil,
I have been kicking this idea around for use with 9mm blanks. The regular 7.62 drums work pretty well with standard 9mm rounds..about 95%. The smaller size drum might make the shorter blanks work better. Nothing makes the crowd cheer more at a public WW2 reenactment than a 71 round drum dump out of the ppsh! Its a crowd favorite. Dan

#7 Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:12 PM

Sorry to hear they were sold out. I will have to look into the suomi drum idea. Thanks for the tips on making them run better! dan