• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:13 AM

I was offered something the other other day that was purported to be a Thompson magazine pouch, but I'm not so sure. The fellow offering it to me said that he bought it from Sarco back in the early 1960s and that it was advertised as being for the Thompson and holds 8 30 round mags. Perhaps it is a newer version than the single-pocket type? (I rather doubt that it was for the Grease gun, since the Thompson mags are much bigger back to front and Greasegun mags would have rattled pretty badly in such a pouch. )
Any ideas?
TIA

Edited by Bill in VA, 27 September 2005 - 09:18 AM.

#2 sten guy

sten guy

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:41 AM

Post some pictures. It may be one of the "Saving Private Ryan " pouches...

STEN

#3 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

Look like this one at auction maybe?

#4 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

Sort of...that one's pretty close. I picked up the puch (and a 48 star flag) from the guy this afternoon. There are a few differences though... The one I acquired has a lift-the-dot closer instead of a strap and buckle. The shoulder strap is sewn on (not a GP strap like the one in the picture) and no ring attached to the side. It also has a large brass grommet on the bottom (a drainage hole?) No "US" markings either, but it is marked in three lines on the front: "case/ammunition/7032438" It also has a wide webbing belt loop on the back (approx. 2 1/2" to 3" wide.)

#5 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:26 AM

Bill, those are 60's production bags, I have several of them. I think they may have been for the grease gun mags, pretty certain they were not produced for the Thompson as the Thompson was obsolete by then as far as the military was concerned. I use them to carry grease gun mags for my Mac10 and sten mags for my Mac11.

Mike Hammer

#6 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:25 AM

The one ZB shows is a GP bag. A .30 call ammo can will fit in to it nicely. The one Tom Hanks used in SPR will only hold the 30 round TSMG mags: Greaser mags are to long. So they came up with one you are describing. Aberdeen Proving Grounds has at least one in thier collection that is WWII MFG. TSMG mags will fit in it jst fine, they are just a little farther down inside of it than a greaser mag.