Voiding An Nfa Transfer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:US, German Military WWI & WWII weapons, US, German, British sniper rifles. Virginia State Police items.

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

Anybody know how to stop an NFA transfer that has become pending but not yet approved? I'm the seller, and I think the buyer may want to unwind the deal.

Sniper

#2 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

Call your examiner ASAP. It's much harder to void once approved.

btw, it takes almost a year to get a refund of the $200.

#3 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2168 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:07 AM

There's a procedure for voiding a transfer. When the approved form 4 is sent to you, just write "void" on it and send it back to the BATF, as the instructions on the form 4 say. You, as the seller, have ultimate control over the transaction right up until delivery. The transfer is not complete until the transferee has possession of the approved Form 4, which only you can provide. When the approved form 4 arrives, you contact your buyer, and if he doesn't live up to the agreed terms, you can void the transaction.

I always require 50% up front. It qualifles the buyer since if he can come up with half of the purchase price, he shouldn't have any trouble with the balance. I don't ask for full payment as the buyer might like having the feeling that the final payment will keep the seller motivated. Win-win.

You don't really care about the $200. The tax was paid by the buyer (transferee). To be blunt, that's his problem.

There is no procedure for a "mid stream" voiding of the transfer, at least not that is mentioned in the small print of the form 4, which is an excellent primer on the entire process.

#4 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:55 PM

Great info TSMGuy!

Thanks....