Thompson 1928 Bolt Jam - Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 klelpers

klelpers

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

I have a West Hurley 1928 with the bolt jammed about 3/4 of the way closed. It appears that it jammed after firing just before extraction. When I removed the lower, I found the recoil buffer shattered into very small pieces. I assume that some of these pieces have worked their way behind the bolt jamming it in its current state. I have attempted to attack it lightly with a rubber rubber hammer with no result. Any suggestions?

#2 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:24 PM

Your in the right mode. Mine did that several years back and it had to be at Tracie Hill's shoot. He popped it a few times with a rubber mallet and it worked free. Just make sure the teeth are out, the shells. The spring is now shoot. It will be bent a some point, so time for a new spring also.So if you need to, you can cut it out. Take your time. Don't push it too hard. That part is usually the one part on a WH the should be replaced with GI parts. And of course you will need one of my handy new buffers! biggrin.gif

#3 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

There are other things that can lock up a WH, like the hammer pin.

Don’t force anything, if it’s just the broken red fibre buffer it should come free fairly easily- otherwise it likely needs some professional help.