28 Savage

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:01 PM

Long Mountain Outfitters/Small Arms Review (Dan Shea's outfits) had copies at Knob Creek. They may still have some.

#22 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:48 PM

I thought that moving the sling swivel to the top of the buttstock was an English thing. Did they do that sort of modification in the Netherlands too?

#23 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:00 PM

That is a fantastic gun with lots of history and nice stamps. Looks great, as is. biggrin.gif

#24 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:31 PM

That's a great looking gun.

It has the word "CALIBER" spelled "CALIBRE" in the third picture. blink.gif

I guess a Savage did spell it "CALIBRE" on some of the guns?

Could this also mean that the NAC-45 receiver was also made by Savage? dry.gif

Norm

#25 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2397 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:04 PM

Norm,

All Colt, Savage and Auto-Ordnance 1921/28 Model guns had caliber spelled "Calibre." They didn't change the spelling until the M1 series of guns were introduced.

#26 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:44 PM

gijive,

I never noticed that. I wonder why they changed it for the M1 series?

Norm

#27 koldt

koldt

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:47 PM

OK, I saw this same remark made on another post about the word CALIBRE and the correct spelling. CALIBRE is CORRECT. You will also find it on very early 1911's, and most other firearms built in days gone by.
Try not to get too riled when I say this, but the American diction has bastardized many parts of the english language. For example the correct way to spell the place where bad guys are sent after a quilty conviction in court is GAOL, not jail. Green, is a colour, not a color. The person that lives next door to me is my neighbour, not neighbor. The entire english speaking world, other than the US, pronounces the last letter of the alphabet as ZED, not ZEE.

I say this as a reminder, not to start a flame, just to clarify. smile.gif

Sorry, and back to the beautiful 28 Savage.

#28 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3443 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:50 PM

G.I.,
Since this word change pertains to Rich's NAC "M1A1" thread, the spelling from "Calibre" to "Caliber" actually predates the M1 model. The prototype Savage 1928 configured model in 9mm sported the new spelling five months before the M1 prototype hit the scene.

Koldt,
And the actual way "Shakespeare" spelt his name is merely a guestimate by scholars.

#29 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2397 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:59 AM

Arthur,

I'm in agreement with you. I was just referring generally to the production models. I was trying to support your contention that the NAC gun pictured probably was not a Savage prototype and that NAC probably roll stamped the receiver with the word calibre, for whatever reason.

#30 TNKen

TNKen

• Regular Group
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, machine guns, defensive handgun competition, snow skiing and ski patrol, my children

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:35 AM

Now, considering that the M1's were the first "caliber" guns, wonder where that puts the Mobile PD gun. Debate was that it was either pulled from the production line early, or built later. It is "calibre" stamped as well.

Ken