http://www.gunboards...TOPIC_ID=130503

If its a good buy good luck.

#2 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2883 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:12 PM

I believe these drums are in Poland. I would be real careful on this one.

#3 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:27 PM

Importing a drum without a Form 6 is serious stuff.

You'd do better to pay $399 at Sportsman's Guide and wait for delivery.

#4 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:35 AM

Last note I got from SG on the drums was 12/31/05. I have sent them emails and once called to make sure they didn't cancel my order- Thing one needs to do this every month when they send thier little note?
I thin they will get them in and they will be a lot cheaper than the ones like above- Figure I have 2 nice ones I can afford to wait.

M

#5 nolmsted

nolmsted

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:39 PM

They must be from out of the country - I didn't see the USD statement. Sorry for posting a bad sale and I'm glad you caught it.

Bill

#6 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:07 AM

But the guy states "Quaranted originality!!!!!!!!!!! " tongue.gif

#7 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

This is not to dampen the spirits on the SG drum buy,...but at the `Creek` I ran across a foreign sounding guy who was selling a quantity of WWII drums that appeared exactly like the ones SG is advertising.He indicated that he was currently importing these drums.When I asked why his price was a lot more than SG he said there was 2 piles of drum overseas to choose from,..1 pile was the real deal and the 2nd pile was reproduction drums made to look like original WWII drums...of course his were the real deal.. dry.gif ...but it does make me wonder a bit if someone in Russia would fake mark a bunch of drums and try to sell them here...it will be interesting to see SG drums when they arrive and get everyones input.... unsure.gif

#8 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2402 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

My response to that logic is the same as when certain members of this Board worried about the NOS Savage blued bolts, being sold by Sportsmans Guide a couple of years ago, as being reproductions. No one in their right mind would go to the trouble of tooling up to make obsolete reproduction Thompson drums with fake markings hoping that they might be able to export them to the United states as originals. What if U.S. Customs didn't let them in the country? What would they do with the drums, sell them to Russia to store with the sixty year old Thompsons and accessories they didn't use during Lend Lease?

If the drums get in they will be originals. No one except Kahr is making a reproduction Thompson drums hoping to cash in on the collector's market in the U.S. Besides, how many would a start-up company think they could sell? A couple of thousand, maybe? There are only a few thousand registered Thompsons in the U.S., and not every owner is looking to own a dozen "L" drums, especially with the rigid firearms restrictions that vary from state to state.

If the drums don't arrive it will be because the U.S. Government didn't allow them for whatever reason or the importers/exporters didn't file or meet the proper paperwork requirements.

#9 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

gijive,..I could not agree more with your post...I believe that this foreign merchant was merely trying to justify his inflated prices...I will wait patiently for the SG delivery along with the rest of the board members. Not to beat a dead horse,but MGC made drums that worked well in the 70s as the 39rd,so there is possiblities of repros..jat... wink.gif

#10 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

+2

#11 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:58 PM

Ah the ole pile of repro drums sitting in Russia... dry.gif If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that one....

+3 with a bullet

#12 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:39 PM

FWIW...

At a gunshow in Dallas several months ago, I was told by an English chap with Ryton Arms that these drums were coming out of Finland. The were originally Russian Lend-Lease that never made it to the Red Army. He assured me they are the real deal in perfect condition. They're shown on the link below, which I posted a month or so ago.

http://www.rytonarms...k/site/home.php

He said SG's price was a little below his but that he was also working to bring them into the US. He acted like it was no big deal but who knows. I obviously don't know for sure if we'll ever see them. It would be a shame to loose them to the trash dump but, then again, when is there any logic to the Feds actions.

PS- You wouldn't believe the beautiful WW2 mag pouches I bought! biggrin.gif

#13 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:47 PM

FWIW, I live about 12 miles from the Guide and stop at their retail store a couple times a month. I also know a few people with relatives who work there, and I know one of their buyers personally who is also involved with area Boy Scouting.
The people working there are pretty sharp and do their research well. I can't see them being fooled by fakes or counterfeits. Read their catalogs and you can't help but agree by their descriptions. They know what they sell and they know it intimately. They don't make money by being uninformed!
I was there a couple days ago and asked one of the long time clerks about the Thompson drums and if they would make the Dec. 31 delivery. He said he hoped so but couldn't say. I asked if they would get hung up in legal paperwork and he said he hoped not. All this seems somewhat cryptic but I can see them not wanting to get hopes up too high or make promises they can't keep. We'll just have to see.
I do know that if I get my drums I'll start looking at the store....undoubtedly they'll have any damaged drums in their junk bin.....good cheap parts! (I hope!!) tongue.gif

If anyone ever wants to order something there and wants it checked out, let me know the number and next time I go down I'll see what it looks like.

john