Set Of 5 Wh Thompsons

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Jebva

Jebva

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

Arthur thanks for the link. This is the same collection I saw at the show in Virginia. I am sure he mentioned there wasa second set that the he knew about with matching numbers.

#22 ClevelandShooter

ClevelandShooter

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Class 3,Beer, VietNam era small arms, Beer, Harley-Davidson's, Beer, and as Car and driver once said "Torque and Recoil"

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

Jebva, yes there are 2 sets that i know of. I have purchased one and do not know the wereabouts of the other. From information that I have gathered so far (undocumented) that Auto ord did not sell these as sets but as new models became available you could get the same serial number on the new model.
Bill
OUT

#23 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:04 PM

The ad at the link says they originally had two sets with one being sold. I'm assuming ClevelandShooter bought the second set.

#24 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:38 PM

Phil,

Arms & Ordnance had that ad running for over 2 1/2 years before they found Bill at a gun show. Over that time span hundreds, maybe thousands, of NFA internet suffers ran across that ad. After 2 years, Arms & Ordnance upped their posted price from $30K to $35K. If nothing else A&O get bonus points for chutzpah.

Is there a method to that seeming madness? I wonder. Sometimes some perspective buyers respond to the allure of sticker shock instead of recoiling from it. In another two or three years will that figure rise with the wave of NFA prices? I imagine it will take Bill the sort of patience A&O invested before he can find another Bill who has even more money to play with for Bill to make a profit. Of course it would take another 2 to 3 years beyond the next 3 years from when the set went up for sale to realize this theoretical purchase.

Yeah, $35K is what a Colt TSMG in your generic 90% condition currently brings. I guess for me that is the head scratch. Why buy the WH set for investment purposes, which Bill did since he said he wasn't going to shoot them, instead of the Colt that is not dependent on the vagaries of the investment roulette wheel, even though there is no such thing as a sure thing. Then again when money is not an object these considerations never come into play.

SecondAmendment,

That is the exact same worded ad that A&O has listed for over 2 years. This 1st set was apparently sold before they put the ad on the net.

#25 ClevelandShooter

ClevelandShooter

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Class 3,Beer, VietNam era small arms, Beer, Harley-Davidson's, Beer, and as Car and driver once said "Torque and Recoil"

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:39 PM

Arty, once again you assume. Assuming things makes all your good points moot.

"Arms & Ordnance had that ad running for over 2 1/2 years before they found Bill at a gun show".

Mr. Charles Logan did not "find me at a gun show" I have known him for years. We have discussed the set and other guns many times. After 13+ years at Knob Creek I have met many people. That being said, without getting specific there were myself and 2 well known Class 3 dealers involved in this transaction. I don't believe that they all know it. It goes like this I have this, you want that ,but the other guy has this etc.
See Arty when one isn't so cynical as you you develop friendships. Things and deals happen and all walk away happy. Who knows, Tomorrow someone may make me an offer and guess what. They will be gone. As I said my plan is to leave them for my son as all of my guns are. But while I still walk this earth I will do with my toys as I see fit. My CMP M1D has moved on as I guess my 1941 Johnson will now. Things come and things go. But in the meantime I learn, shoot and have fun with my toys. Yes i call them toys as anything that is not necessary I consider toys.

Bill Out

#26 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

Hey Bill,
What ya asking for the Johnson? I still kick myself everytime I think of the one I passed up at a pawn shop in San Antonio. I think the guy was asking $1750.00 and that was in 1997 or so.