New Probs At The Range With The 1927a

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

well see my dad reloads too here and he always puts in more than me on the supplies so i wont get all lead, he works at a paint factory and is exposed to lead all day, he has to take lead count tests all the time, and he says hell be damned if hes gonna have himself exposed to that much lead at home too, he knows ur always getting some while reloading but he just dont wanna risk raising his count too high and haveing to take a vacation from work

#22 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

The main danger of lead based paint, and lead in general, comes from breathing in the dust of the paint while it is being sanded. Lead has to be ingested in order for it to be dangerous. Basic safeguards insure that you won't be exposed to a dangerous amount while casting bullets. Casting outside is the main one, but wearing gloves and eye protection (In case the melt spatters by accidently getting some water into it...) also are necessary. Also, do not smoke or eat while you are handling lead. That's the best way to ingest the stuff. Wash your hands good after you are done casting, and properly disposing of the sludge and oxide after fluxing, (I bury the stuff.) insures that you won't be exposed to dangerous levels of lead. As for the melt itself, it has to get well over 1000 degrees before the fumes coming off of it actually contain lead and are dangerous. Since Bullet casting is done well under that temperature, it is quite safe.

It's like everything else in life. If you are careful and take precautions, accidents are avoided.

That's why they don't allow cast lead bullets at indoor ranges. (At least, in California they don't.) Basic safety precautions. Especially if you work at an indoor range.

You are actually much more likely to get hurt or killed in a car accident, or by some Doctor who isn't really paying attention, then you are to be hurt or killed shooting, reloading and casting bullets.

Somebody ought to tell Diane Fienstien that, if the stupid b*&^% would only listen...

#23 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

Well I knocked the dust off of the press, and loaded up 500 this weekend.

I'm using Meister Hard Cast 230 gr RN, followed by 5.1 gr of Win 231, and a CCI 300 at the bottom of the stack to start it off.

Accuracy is great, and no leading! Lots of carbon though.

I have 7 differant powders here and stated with Red Dot and it gave lousy results, but the 231 was awesome. Dirty But accurate! It always gave great results in .357 and .44.

A good setup for casting indoors is a hood with an exhaust fan to the outside over the lead pot. Haven't cast for years. Lead around here seems tough to get, shipping it in raises the cost almost to the price of pre-made bullets.

#24 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:48 AM

its not that hes scared of getting hurt or anything, its just he cant take the chance of raiseing his blood level much at all, they are really strict about it, plus the time involved and all its just easier to buy berrys, great lil bullets for the price

#25 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

There is a guy selling pure antimony on ebay, but I prefer a different route. Reclaimed shot, and lead shot in general, has a high antimony content. This is visible when you melt lead shot down into ingots. You can see it crystalize out on the surface of the ingot. I have about 10 pounds left of that, and I usually throw in an ingot whenever I feel the alloy is getting to soft.

Even Pick your part, (local junkyard) has gotten tough on lead. It used to be that I pays my 2 bucks to get in, and then fill my pockets and tool box with wheelweights and nobody cared. Now, all the wheelweights are removed before the car goes to the rows.

Somebody ought to tell these EPA enviromental wacko types to back off. Or at least do something useful, like tell them to go look up "Sodium Flouride" in the dictionary or something... tongue.gif

#26 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

haha this thread just keeps going off in diff directions, anyways i took the tommy out today, put 150 thro it without a hiccup, no more wolf for this gun, o and the wasr runs great
btw whats the easiest way to get the buildup in the cutts out?

#27 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

That's the same with me, it's a build-up of something in the slots that pops right off with a small pick or screwdriver. I always assumed it was lead, but it's just a hard black residue that could be lead, carbon, lube, or who knows what...

Glad to see you are now enjoying your Thompson without any Jams. And if your rear sight is still attached, maybe Kahr finally fixed that problem.

#28 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:16 PM

no they didnt, i have to tighten after everytime i shoot, there was chips of loctite everywhere when i folded it up after my first day shooting. im gonna have to figure something out sooner or later lol
and i was useing a friends loads, well lubed cast be bought but there was tons of lead in the comp

Edited by shotgun_lobotomy, 15 November 2005 - 05:17 PM.

#29 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:20 PM

wouldnt i be seeing damage from all the FMJ's i shot if that was the case? i think he was loading his mega-hot so im gonna load up some of mine soon and see how that goes

#30 shotgun_lobotomy

shotgun_lobotomy

• Regular Group
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

well all i had when we went shooting was wolf, so i traded the guy 300 reloads for 150 wolf smile.gif now i know its running good again so soon as i get a new hand prime im gonna reload what i got left, around 1500 berrys and a 5lb can of 700x