- - - - -

.45 Acp Cartridge Overall Length

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

I was recently looking over the SAMMI .45 ACP pistol cartridge and chamber specifications, and noticed the large variation in allowable cartridge overall length (COL), namely 1.190 - 1.275 inches. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about what, if any, is the optimal COL for the TSMG?

#2 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:37 PM

I load mine to 1.275" COAL. Either way though, you're looking at a difference of .085 and since the .45 acp headspaces on the case mouth, COAL in a TSMG shouldn't make much of a difference unless your feed ramp is out of spec.

#3 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

If the cartridges are short, you may have trouble with drums especially. I load my 230 RN 1.270 and all is well.

SWC styles will give you grief in drums also.

#4 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

I have been using 1.260 with great success.

Disclaimer: Of course your length of cartridge should be determined by the manufacture of the powder and/or bullet manufacture being used.

#5 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

Good advice. thanks much. I think I'll give the 1.270 a try. I've been loading a little bit shorter than that.