A Thompson In King Arthur's Court

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

Purely by coincidence last night (although there is no such thing), I was reading Kurt Vonnegut's 1997 novel/autobiography Timequake on the eve of his 83rd birthday. Those of you who have read Vonnegut will be famliar with his alterego, science fiction writer, Kilgore Trout. In the book during a coversation with Trout shortly before his death in 2001, Trout tells Vonnegut about his very first story. From the book:

"His very first story, he told me as he was dying, was set in Camelot, the court of King Arthur in Britain: Merlin the Court Magician cast a spell that allows him to equip the Knights of the Round Table with Thompson submachie guns and drums of .45-caliber dumdums.

Sir Galahad, the purest in heart and mind, familarizes himsllf with this new virtue-compelling appliance. While doing so, he puts a slug through the Holy Grail and makes a Swiss chees of Queen Guinevere."

Maybe its just me but that cracked me up.

#2 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:11 AM

Roland--
That is so crazy!!! I'll have to look that book up. LOL