• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:45 PM

I am looking for the best way to remove the front grip mount on a Kahr 27. I spent a few hours on it, and it kicked my ass.

I tried using wood blocks fitted around the nose of the receiver, clamped in a heavy 6" vise. I made a clamp that clamps to the grip mount with a long threaded rod. I then placed a large weight with a hole thru the center on the rod. Sort of a sliding hammer type set up, a simple version of Doug Richardson's grip mount remover.

After this failed I tried applying heat to the mount and nose section. I wasn't real brave on applying the heat, I didn't want to get to carried away. Every time I tried the sliding hammer it just pulled the receiver and blocks. After all this I think I might have, just maybe, moved the mount 1/32". Any ideas, suggestions, or comments?

KJ

#2 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

did you remove the barrel?

#3 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:12 PM

Yeah the barrel has been removed. I should have mentioned that in the first post.
Kj

#4 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:36 PM

Kilroyjones,

I have a Kahr receiver (with gripmount) that I bought from Kahr (through my FFL.)

I also tried to remove the gripmount but after only a few minutes of trying, I noticed that the mount was solid tight that I would not be able to get it out.

Just by chance, PK called me in regards to my gun he was fixing. I asked him about the gripmount and he said that it would be very hard to remove it myself. He said that he had to use a special press to remove them.

Maybe if you contact PK, he could give you more info about it.

Norm

#5 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:13 AM

Kahr is press fitting these in place, heat will be of little value. I use a 3 ton press and special fixture.

#6 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the answers. My homemade slide hammer doesn't compare to a 3 ton press. On second thought I might not want to remove the mount. KJ