Solid Gold Grip

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:31 AM

I thought I know a bit about prices for some of this stuff.... seems I spend too much time looking at things for sale. But this one takes the cake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/.....AMEWA:IT&rd=1

$162 for a 1927 or 1928 grip?? Is this some kind of 1921 grip - how could you tell from the description?? Even if it is a 21 grip - $162 for it??

#2 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

Looks like original Remington wood to me, but I don't know much about these things.

#3 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:08 AM

That's a military M1/M1A1 grip. It has the notch in it. That is by far the most I have ever seen one go for.

Damon

#4 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1260 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

I think I got $15 for the last one I sold, not too many years ago. I can hardly wait till The Respected One gets ahold of this post!!!

#5 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:45 PM

That sure looks high, even by todays prices. I didn't know that Remington wood was so special.

#6 kilroyjones

kilroyjones

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:50 PM

I just hope that Dan doesn't get any ideas from this...... biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#7 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2444 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Sgt @ Nov 21 2005, 05:45 PM)
That sure looks high, even by todays prices.  I didn't know that Remington wood was so special.

It's not Remington wood. The "M" contractor mark indicates it was made by Strombeck-Becker Corporation. It is strictly WWII variety wood, detailed very clearly in Frank Ianammico's books. Sarco sells them NOS (with storage dings) for about twenty bucks. Only an uniformed buyer on Ebay would pay in excess of one hunderd dollars for one.

#8 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1722 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:55 PM

I've got a little "M" stamp around somewhere, I'll keep my prices that same to date, but if you want the M stamp added it will cost an extra $100 biggrin.gif

Just think there were at least two or even three bidders to get it up that high.