Will King Kong>again Raise The Price>

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Remo Williams

Remo Williams

• Regular Group
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:03 PM

I loved "Them". A remake would be great if they didn't make it too computer genrated. That takes away from a movie.
As for a sequel better than the original, I thought "Aliens" was better than "Alien", but the other Alien sequels stunk.

#22 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

Original movies that were better off left alone:

1919 "The Cabinet Of Dr. Calagari"
1921 "Nosferatu"
1943 "Sahara"
1946 "The Big Sleep"
1947 "Miracle on 34th Street"
1947 "Out Of The Past"
1949 "D.O.A."
1950 "Narrow Margin"
1955 "The Desperate Hours"
1960 "Psycho"
1962 "The Manchurian Candidate"
1972 "The Getaway"

I'm not even going to get into the absurd films made from classic TV shows.

#23 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3637 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

"the thing "1951 and the day the earth stood still" 1951

only one became a remake and john carpenter did a good job with the music score.the desolation,and cold,and the s.f.e.

however you still can't beat the original,with the snappy actor reaction,and everybody excited and talking at once.. and that famous mucic score.by a well known composer,and winchester film's..can't beat that. wink!

and "them"jimmie arness is till kickin..

good time's good memorie's.. take care,ron

#24 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

The Carpenter version of "The Thing" was a decent remake because it was faithful to the original story "Who Goes There?" that Hawk's "The Thing" was based on.

The original "Alien" and "Terminator" are perfect examples of originals being much more superior to their sequels. "Rocky" and "Rambo" are also proof positive of the rule that sequels continually erode the basic premise of the original film.

Remake "Them!"? Again, the filmmakers would have to use the same 1950's time period for the film to make sense. But now the Sgt. Peterson character (James Whitmore) would be grabbing a West Hurley TSMG from the front seat of his squad car. That's enough reason to cancel the project.

#25 Remo Williams

Remo Williams

• Regular Group
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

Artie,
While I would prefer a 1928a1 Savage used in the possible remake to Them, I don't think that it will matter to the ants, what type of Thompson fires the .45acp into their bodies.

As for Alien, the original was heavily based on "It,the Terror from Beyond Space". Good movie, but funny now how they thought what space travel would be, prior to the space program.

#26 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:33 PM

I`m just glad they didn`t remake.."Forbidden Planet"...the alltime best sci-fi flick... laugh.gif ..ahh those Ann Francis thighs.... laugh.gif

#27 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Dec 1 2005, 07:58 PM)
FWIW, the '95 Remake of SAHARA wasn't all that bad...

Caught that couple weeks back on one of the movie channels. I was impressed with Belushi(sp) in it. Lot's of good MG action. hail.gif
Maybe I can get hold of Peter Jackson and talk to him about "THEM".

#28 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Dec 1 2005, 10:42 PM)
Another good one, though no Tommy Gun Action, but one of my favorites, A Midnight Clear, worth checking out.

Yeah, I agree with you, Lion. That one was directed by Keith Gordon, the guy who played Arnie Cunningham in Stephen King's 1983 John Carpenter horror flick, "Christine".

Rob

#29 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 780 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:22 AM

While I didn't see the straight to video remake of "Sahara", I find it extremely repulsive that the likes of the younger and talentless Belushi, would attempt to fill the unfillable shoes of Bogie in one of his best roles and one of my favorote movies of all time, show some respect by leaving a classic movie alone! Oh and by the way, if you want to see another straight to video cheapo knock off. you can see yours truly along with Jake Busey in "Roadhouse II" which we just finished shooting a week ago. Didn't get to use my Thompson by playing a D.E.A. agent, but I did get to carry a Glock! rolleyes.gif

Mike Hammer

#30 Fencer

Fencer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:WWII U.S. military weapons, Air to Air combat. Jack Russells Rule!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:11 PM

There is a new video game associated with the King Kong movie. I saw a comercial and in one shot the "player" was carrying a Thompson. Looked pretty good in the couple seconds I saw.

Cheers,