Mismatched Serial Numbers 1928a1 Thompson

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jfcastro

jfcastro

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:10 AM

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I write from the Philippines and was handed down a WWll vintage 1928A1 Thompson. I understand that it's common for GI Thompsons' serial numbers in the receiver and trigger frame to be mismatched. However, in the case of my gun, the receiver serial number is A.O. 12089 and the trigger frame is S-133383 meaning that the gun was manufactured by Auto-Ordnance but had a Savage trigger frame installed.

I was wondering if this is a fluke or a common occurance. Any comments would be appreciated.

Javier

#2 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2429 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 21 October 2003 - 06:11 AM

Hi,

I believe Frank Iannamico stated in his book that most of the mismatched guns he observed were of the same manufacturer. It is less common to find Savage and A.O. mismatches, but I don't believe it makes the gun especially unique. Since miltary armorers used whatever was available, it depends on what they had on hand when the gun was rebuilt. My guess is that it's not particulary unusual.

There is a gun pictured on an earlier post that has an early Savage receiver and an A.O. grip frame. The number on the grip frame has been restamped to match the receiver. That is a little more unusual, but was most likely done post WWII when the gun was reimported.

#3 jfcastro

jfcastro

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:43 PM

Hi;

Thanks so much for the reply.

Javier