Value Of A 1927 Conversion Gun?

I have a Broadhead Armory DIAS in a converted 27.

If you are willing to spend a little more money, it can be made into a selectfire gun.

If you are willing to spend A LOT more money, you can have a custom receiver (27A1) built for it.

Z3bigdaddy can show you what a select fire conversion on a standard WH/Kahr receiver looks like.

Mine is made on custom receiver and has Colt markings. It gets lots of looks at the range, but it is still a converted 27A1.

Norm

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/mytsmg3.jpg

Wow!! That is so beautiful. I guess with the conversion, it's all right to have the receiver at the original MG size, correct?

Ralph-

I thought Norm said it was a 27A1 receiver, which would fall in line with making a full auto from a semi-host gun. Unless Norm is a SOT, but why would you use a DIAS if you could just mill your own MG receiver for a post sample.

I think making a new, MG sized receiver for private use (and not being a FFL/SOT) would be very illegal. My guess is that was a legal SA receiver that was purchased and customized and then dropped in with the Broadhead sear to make it pretty damn close to a 1928 as you can get. Still a very cool gun.

Norm- Is that a SBR as your host? The other gun I saw had a 10.5" barrel on it (two stamps - SBR and sear). I am just curious if you kept the 16.5" ugly stick or not. I am guessing for that effort spent, you didn't....

Chris.

P.S. Here is another one I found surfing the web: 1927A1 Converted Thompson

Don't know if the pic will work as I have a new picture hosting system... btaim Here is my SemiFullAutoBastid..... It is now just so close to being finished for me... Only thing left is to swap out the wannabe Lyman sight for the real deal and have Full Auto and Single engraved by the selector switch... This was made using the Broadhead Armory firing pin to make it a registered full auto gun. Merle the Drum Doctor worked it up so that it has a selector switch to fire both semi and full auto..... He also put on the 28 barrel with compensator, changed out the front grip hanger, machined the receiver for the 28 stock, and modified the mag latch for "real" 20 and 30 round magazines. Runs pretty slow to, around 900..... If you watch the bunny vid you will see that..... With Merle's generosity I was able to build this gun for right around 6K.....

12K for that thing Nick has which is full auto only is wack. At this point the firing pin is at most a 6K part. So you are paying 6K to have someone install it in a 800 buck host gun with no modification other than the pin? GueeZe LouiZe in a Summer BreeZe the damn thing still has the cheese grater on top!... jmho....

Now Norm's SFAB is a bit nicer as he had a Richardson receiver milled to "semi-auto" specs so he still uses a semi bolt with his registered part... His receiver never has and never will accept a full-auto bolt. I want to thank Norm one more time as he was the one who turned me on to the Broadhead Armory piece that Nick had in TX. I was thinking 4.5K was a lot to pay for a piece of Jr. High sheet metal class work, but it turned out really nice and I have a select fire Tommy for about half of what I could buy a real one for..... Except for you folks here, most can't tell the difference...... And it is a hoot to shoot....

http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/uploads/z3bigdaddy_IMG_0805.JPG

Sgt,

My gun is a 27A1 receiver, and will NOT hold a 28 bolt. I wish I could have used 28/21 specs, but that is a big no-no.

It is a Richardson semi-auto receiver that I had finished to 27A1 specs.

It is illegal to build a 28/21 receiver EVEN IF YOU HAVE A REGISTERED CONVERSION DEVICE!

The ATF would consider the 28/21 receiver a machine gun in itself.

Look at the photo below and you will see the that it is a 27A1. Most people at the range never notice the difference. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Ralph- The gun is not registered as a SBR. Since it contains a "Registered conversion device for full-auto fire (machinegun)", it does not need to be registered. It is the same as an AR-15 with an RDIAS in it. As long as the gun has the RDIAS in it, it can have a short barrel on it.

Norm

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/27A1step.jpg

QUOTE (philasteen @ Nov 29 2005, 10:45 PM)
The 27 I am looking at is a RR conversion.

So we're talking select fire set up like Norms? I would say a set up like that would be the most desireable of the pin guns... I think they should be worth as much as a regular Westie F/A. YMMV So don't be so tight lipped how much are they asking..... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

The 27 I am looking at is a RR conversion.

Odds are that this gun has a registered receiver, even though it is a 27A1.

RR may have registered the receiver and then modified an M1A1 bolt (fixed firing pin) by milling it down by 1/10 of an inch. It would then be able to fit in a 27A1 receiver.

Another way it could have been converted is if the bolt was registered as MG.

Norm