11 replies to this topic

#1 railroader

railroader

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Retirement, Firearms, Golf, model railroading

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

Does anyone have an idea what a West Hurley 1927 A-1 semi -auto would go for in a private sale. I believe it was bought new in the late 80's.

Thanks
Railroader

#2 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:19 PM

A guy here just sold a nice one for $550. I should of bought it, but I'm saving for a Colt Government Carbine AR15.

#3 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:18 PM

$550.00-$750.00 be my guess..

#4 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

+1

#5 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

You selling it?

#6 M1Brian

M1Brian

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

I really get a kick out of listening to you low ball guys. If any of you had a really nice a1 you sure as hell wouldnt offer it on this board for 550.00 and I bet your willing to pay 475.00 for that colt govt. carbine. I wish I came across the deals you guys
do but I can never seem to find them. Let me know when you find a trijicon tao1nsn acog for 450.00 so I can finish off my govt carbine and I'll get the check in the mail. Not to say these deals dont actualy happen and 750.00 is closing in on a kahr m1 but 550.00 seems a little lean to me.
M1Brian

#7 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

Well Brian, what do you think they go for?

#8 treadhead

treadhead

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

Well, the $550 DOES seem to be a more than fair price (To me) but I have to admit I just missed-out on a mint (Possibly un-fired?) WH '27A1 two months ago for $550 at a show near here.

It was in AS New condition and had a detachable stock kit installed (With BOTH buttstocks) and the guy was asking $650. It was a small show (The last Eugene OR show) and about half the guys through the door at opening had to stop and oogle the thing. I decided to offer the seller $600 (What-the-hell, he can always say no biggrin.gif ) but wanted to wait a while 'till the group around his table thinned a little.

So I'm standing outside talking to an older gentleman with an M1 Garand to sell at "Maybe" 20min's into the show and this guy comes walking out with "MY" Thompson! ohmy.gif (lol) He got it for $550. What a bummer! The seller had the what was arguably the most popular gun at the show (At least as far as pulling folks to his table) and he takes the first low-ball offer made.

Anyway M1Brian, I tend to agree with you that those deals are few and far between cool.gif

#9 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

Does anyone see a price or quality differential between WH and Kahr Semis? I haven't seen but an occasional seller claim that a WH semi isn't "Kahr Junk" and asks 1500 for a used gun. Pretty silly, if you ask me - the guns are pretty much the same. I would even say Kahr probably has the edge now due to modern manufacturing techniques and equipment - but that is neither here nor there.

If the guns are retailing new between $800 and $1000, then 500-750 used is a fair price depending on what the seller paid to acquire it. If someone wants $750 for a used WH semi, why not just buy the NIB Kahr for a few dollars more?

It is simply supply and demand. I someone overprices something, it either doesn't sell or a fish is caught. Unfortunately, most dealers are looking for that fish. To that - I say hell with them. With the internet as a resource and knowing people, why buy something used when you can get it new for a few dollars more? It is a shame that most non-Thompson firearm owners probably don't know they can go to a local 01 FFL and have them order it for them new, or transfer one in on an auction.

Used is used is used. Unless is doesn't come in the box, with all of the papers, labels and stickers, it should be considered used and priced as such.

#10 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (M1Brian @ Dec 6 2005, 02:34 PM)
I really get a kick out of listening to you low ball guys. If any of you had a really nice a1 you sure as hell wouldnt offer it on this board for 550.00 and I bet your willing to pay 475.00 for that colt govt. carbine. I wish I came across the deals you guys
do but I can never seem to find them. Let me know when you find a trijicon tao1nsn acog for 450.00 so I can finish off my govt carbine and I'll get the check in the mail. Not to say these deals dont actualy happen and 750.00 is closing in on a kahr m1 but 550.00 seems a little lean to me.
M1Brian

I bought one off the board here and paid $650 for it but it was fixed up and had the real deal lyman site on it.... Just a few months back I bought a Westie in the M1 config from a RI gunshop for 5 bills even with 4 XXX mags......

#11 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:03 AM

Does anyone see a price or quality differential between WH and Kahr Semis?

DC Chris,
I guess if it were one of the earlier Westy's you had an abundance of GI surplus parts from the trigger, extractor, Bolt, furniture, ect...
That would be a bit of a difference.
Best, Zamm

#12 M1Brian

M1Brian

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

I guess I need to stand corrected and keep my nose closer to the ground to sniff out those deals. I'm not the fish that likes to pay the high price just to say I got it and I have missed a deal or two at the shows while someone else has walked up with a pocket full of cash to burn. In regards to wh vs kahr that would seem to be personal preference with the buyer or owner. To some more like owning a ford or a chevy others a lincoln or chevette thus some seeing a premium attached. I was serious about the trijicon tao1nsn if any of you guys are dealers shoot me your best price and I'll take a look. The bad thing is I live close enough to trijicon to walk there and drive by it at least twice a day. You can call them up and talk all day but knock on the frt door and if you dont belong there your going the other way. Dont think your going to save the postage and drop your gun or scope off its mail in only and no parts counter.
I havent seen a lot of thompson stuff at shows around here and the last one I saw was a volunteer the guy was asking about 750.00 for but that was a year or so ago and it had a long nasty scratch on one side of the rec.. Mike on your gvt. carbine search good luck as prices are all over the board on those also. I'd recomend the current 6721 or 6920 as they are using the better bolt carriers then the earlier models. I picked up a 6721 got it home and compared it to my older govt. carbine and its no contest. You will find the blue label green label argument among the colt owners also as some see a premium with the green being older and worth more. Maybe a wh/kahr type thing. All I know is that when my dealer gets his 6920s in one is mine and should be in my safe shortly after the new year. And no I'm not telling who it is so you rich guys can go offer him more money for it. Good luck gun hunting
M1Brian