Colt 21 Safety

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:59 AM

Does anybody have a close up of a 21 safety that they can post. I am converting a Savage paddle to look like a 21. PK was quite helpful and advised that the hole that goes through the paddle in .209 but advised that the hole is chamfered with a concave recess. I would like to see a close up of this.

Thanks,
Richard

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:08 AM

That radius is convex.

#3 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

PK:

You are always a gentleman and very helpful. I think that we are trying to say the same thing. I looked up convex on dictionary.com and they said "Having a surface or boundary that curves or bulges outward, as the exterior of a sphere." Concave they said "Curved like the inner surface of a sphere." Now one of us is using the wrong word or I am confused about how the safety looks. Well, I know I'm confused or I wouldn't be asking this question. If you drill the hole and then run an oversized ball end mill into it, that is the way to form this feature? Maybe Arthur has a photo of this part from one of his Colt's that he would post. He was most helpful on my last post.

#4 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2882 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Richard,
This is the best picture I have of the Safety and Fire Control Lever from a Colt Thompson. Hope it helps.

user posted image

#5 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

A ball mill will produce a concave radius; the opposite of what you want. To properly form that radius like a Colt part using a machine you will need to get a custom cutter ground.

#6 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:59 PM

Pk:

Dang, It is convex, just in the other direction than I was thinking. I can do it in the lathe. Is there a flat in the middle of the hole or do the two convex surfaces meet in the center? U like this or like this \_/ But rounded

Thanks,
Richard

#7 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:48 AM

TD:

Thanks for the photo. That is a great help. Man pretty gun, yours? That photo helps with the surface finish a little coarser than I would have thought. Probably somewhere around 320 grit?

Thanks,
Richard

#8 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:51 AM

They weren’t all exactly the same; a short cylindrical section can be found on some, others not. Whatever you do will be fine I’m sure.