Y Marked Actuator?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

I have a 28 actuator that is marked with a Y on the but end. Not on the left side as usual. The Y is stamped sideways. This actuator is knurled. Does anyone know what type of actuator this is? Who made it?

Thanks,
Richard

#2 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:27 AM

Can't find it in my books. Are there any other marks on it? I have some sling swivels that are Y marked. I think it was Yale and Towne? I could be wrong...fuzzy memory. Can you post/send a pic?

Damon

#3 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2122 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:19 AM

This question has been kicked around on the boards before, with no satisfactory answer. The closest I can come is that there was a WWII sub contractor that made M1911A1 triggers for Colt's, Ithaca, and Remington Rand called the Yawman Metal Products Company. (See Clawson's book, 'Colt .45 Service Pistols, Models of 1911 and 1911A1', pg. 332.) The triggers were marked with a 'Y'. Once a subcontractor was chosen to produce parts, a mark was assigned which was not used by other producers. Frank has stated that he has not been able to find Yawman listed anywhere in his extensive research as having had anything to do with M1928/M1928A1 production. Another theory is that this was an ordnance inspector's mark, and not that of a sub contractor at all. I have an 'S' marked 'bright' M1928A1 bolt with this enigmatic 'Y' as well. This mark will remain a mystery for quite some time to come, I'd think.

#4 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:27 AM

Well, thanks for the info.

Richard

Edited by rhlowe, 10 December 2005 - 10:58 PM.