Kahr 50 Drum & Carry Case

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bounty1

Bounty1

• Regular Group
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

I was sent to this site by the Thompson Collector's Assoc. and am a member.
I have had a 1928A1 for some time but have a ? I recently bought a Kahr 50rd drum, and on several attemps to load and unload it to see how it works, it takes way more then the 9 to 11 clicks recommended to get any spring tension. Actual number of click may be 20 or 30 to get enough tension for force out all 50. I have a Auto-Ordnance 39rd drum, and something like this does not occur with that. The question is: Are all the "clicks" I hear "real" clicks? How many 360 rotations of the key would represent 9 to 11 clicks? I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on this.
Also, I have a carrying case for a 1928A1, and it needs to be re-lined. Is there anyone out there that does this and does it well. It may also need a new compartment separator, the long one, which I believe is wood underneath the liner, as it is warped. Can anyone help with that, ie. names of smiths?
Thanks,

#2 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2077 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:16 PM

one click = 1/4 turn, so 2.25 to 2.75 turns would be correct.

#3 Bounty1

Bounty1

• Regular Group
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:44 PM

thanks GiantPanda4,
I just tried it again, and it makes about 20 clicks to get it around about 2.75x, and I had to go to 4 complete rotations (4 360's) to get enough tension on it for it to push out all 50 rds. And it was not doing it in a real robust manner at that. Does that make it sound like it needs a trip back to the factory?

#4 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4573 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

For the case, you may try to contact Greg Fox in Orlando, Fl. He makes new ones and may be able to help you on a fix up. His contact info is in the FAQ section. Very nice work.

#5 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

Listen for the " clunks " not the light clicks. I've had the same problem.

#6 Bounty1

Bounty1

• Regular Group
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:48 PM

Thanks full auto 45 and Warden.
I'll get in touch with the fellow you mention in Orlando.
And Warden, have you had to wind it as much as 4 360's? Seems like a lot to me, and I'm afraid to go any further than that. But eve3n "16" quarter turns doesn't seem to give it very much "oomph".
I'll probably check with Kahr tomorrow, and see what they have to say.
Thanks to both of you.

#7 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

Bounty 1,

10 quarter turns (2 1/2 full turns) should be all you need.

Then again, I have an older Auto-Ordnance (West Hurley) drum.

But like I said, Clunks, not the light clicks.

Good luck, Dave wink.gif