13 replies to this topic

#1 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

Gentlemen,

Please excuse the off-topic topic, but I trust that somebody here has some knowledge about the M3 Greasegun. I'm looking for the production date of M3 serial number 4539XX. Also, I need a parts kit - everything but the barrel and receiver. I tried IMA but they were sold out. Can anybody help?

Regards & Merry Christmas!

Balder

#2 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

Sarco has pretty good inventory on M3/M3A1 parts, give them a try.

#3 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1249 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

There is an M3 Greasegun forum on this website. Maybe some of the gurus on that page can help too. Here is some info that I found: 1943: 85,130 guns produced. 1944: 343,372 guns produced. 1945: 178,192 guns produced. Took that from Frank's US Submachine Guns book.

#4 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

I wouldn't want one of those ugly stubby tubeguns. The M3 greasegun replaced the Thompson, and for that I dislike them. There is a book for sale about them HERE

LINK TO GREASEGUN FORUM

#5 1919A6

1919A6

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, you are right. However, I have a Colt Thompson U.S. Navy Overstamp and an Ithica M3A1 Grease Gun. The M3A1 with suppressor sure is sweet, but nothing beats the Thompson. Oh, almost forgot, I reload for the Thompson, and each round must be gauged to function 100% so all the rejects go thru the 'home fit' grease gun.

#6 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (1919A6 @ Dec 12 2005, 08:25 PM)
Yeah, you are right.

I know.

#7 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2163 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:50 PM

As Army tankers in the '70s we were issued M3s and M3A1s as personal weapons. We fam fired them once a year but otherwise considered them to be fairly useless. No one had any notion that they could be mastered or that they could ever be useful in any way as the Army had by then lost all skill with SMGs. This colored my attitudes toward SMGs in general until I got my first MP40, where I discovered that with practice the guns could be both accurate and effective. Everyone connived to get M1911A1s or even M16s instead, which we wrapped in plastic before heading out to the field to avoid having to detail clean them on our return. We figured that if you had your M60 shot out from under you then you were dead anyway! One young hard charger had an article published in the Armor Association magazine about how to use cover and concealment around your immobilized tank, and how to use parts of it to brace and steady your .45. It was good for a grin or two. You could just imagine this guy popping away with a Russian tank regiment bearing down on him. I guess he could have just about scratched some paint, but that was about all. I suppose that in another age, he would have advocated fighting from behind his dead horse.

#8 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

TSMGguy,

I hear ya! I served on tanks for five years, for four of them I was issued with a G-3 for personal defense. Needless to say, that was rather cumbersome even though it had a retractable stock. We were quite happy when we finally were issued the MP-5.

Balder

#9 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1027 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

I need to chime in here regarding Grease Guns, the M3A1 in particular.

Most sources state 15,000 or so M3A1s were made. AFTER I wrote the M3 book, I discovered the 15k number was a typo in the Ordnance Signifigant Purchases Records.

There were actually 85,000 (+ or- I don't have the figures in front of me) M3A1s made. The source I found the correct figures in was the Cincinniati Ordnance District files. The correct figures are in my USA Subguns Book (not a plug, but its my favorite work)

#10 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

I will plug Frank's U.S. Subguns book.

It is great!

All Frank's books are great!

#11 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

It's easy to plug em. Without a hardcover, they go right through.

#12 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2163 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

Balder, If you were issued a G-3, and later an MP5, I'm guessing that you served in Leopards, probably 4s, and most probably German, but possibly Canadian. Loved the G-3 and earned the Schutzensnore (sp?) with one during interoperability training, to my everlasting surprise! Great piece of gear, the G-3.

#13 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

TSMGuy,

Actually I am in Norway, where I was originally trained on the M48 - yes, the basic one with a Continental V-12 petrol engine and 90mm gun. Great tank in some aspects, it shot way better than the Leopard 1 which was more than 15 years younger. I've also served on M-24 Chaffee's and the Norwegian version of it, as well as on the Leopard 1 and 1A4. As a commander's sidearm, I've carried the G-3, Walther P-38, MP-5 and STENgun(!).

Balder

#14 TactAdv

TactAdv

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:56 AM

Frank writes:

".....Most sources state 15,000 or so M3A1s were made. AFTER I wrote the M3 book, I discovered the 15k number was a typo in the Ordnance Signifigant Purchases Records."

----------------------------------------------

Hmmmmmmmm, and WHO put that little bug in your ear??? ;-) ;-)

-TomH