- - - - -

New West Hurley Leo Drum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:14 PM

Hey guys,

I took my old West Hurley 1927 A-1 out to the range today. I had this one gone over by Damon and Tom at Tommygunner recently.

What I wanted to know is what changed in the West Hurley drums over the years ?

I have an older W.H. drum that I bought in 1994 that runs fine, but I purchased a West Hurley LEO drum recently and took them both out to the range today.

My old W.H. drum ran through 50 rnds. without a problem, but the later LEO drum didn't seem to have the spring pressure to push the rounds through. and the old one is solid when it is shaken, the late one sounds like the spring assembly is bouncing around when you shake it.

I live in a state where you can't own a F.A., not even an SBR. All I want is to have my semi auto to run reliably. If anyone has any info on the later West Hurley drums, could you please let me know what the difference between them and the earlier W.H. drums is.

I'd appreciate the information.

Dave hail.gif

#2 Motorcar

Motorcar

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:40 PM

I have the Westy drums in original and LEO. Both were new in box when I purchased them. The only apparent difference is the LEO markings on the back case and the appeture where the bullet seats just before chambering is a bit smaller opening. Same heavier gauge steel on both than the Kahr production.
Merle is the man... iagree.gif

#3 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:57 PM

I've never had any problem with any of the earlier WH L Drums. I picked up one of the LEO drums a few years ago and I wouldn't even try it on my gun, the quality was obviously inferior. It had ripples on the outer edge of the drum and it felt lighter and flimsy. I now just own all WWII drums and they ALL run like champs. My advice would be to just use early WH or save up and get some WWII drums. We are all hoping those Sportman's Guide drums make it out to us, if so everyone will have the chance to own a good quality L drum. rolleyes.gif

Mike Hammer

#4 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:22 PM

Hey Mike,

I had the same problem with the first LEO drum that I ordered. The outer surface had a lot of deep ripples. Some were so deep that it made it difficult to remove the cover.

I sent that one back and received a replacement. ( the one I have now ) It is definately in better condition, but you really won't know until you try it out.

woot.gif

#5 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

I had no problem with my LEO drum except that the mounting rails were very tight and I had to wear it in. After that it ran fine.

#6 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

Roland,

That is one thing that I expected. It seems that all of the " new " drums have tight rails. Like you said, you just have to wear them in. banghead.gif