• Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:30 AM

That's four thousand five hundred dollar firing pin smartass... nutkick.gif

#22 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

This one has always worked for me in taking light rust spots off, brass wool, with kruoil and a LIGHT dusting of jewlers rouge if it's stuborn.

WD-40 is definately not good for long term storage in anything but a dry climate, the first thing you should put in your gunsafe is a dessicant or dehumidifier like a golden rod. CLP and RIG are much better for storage, some of my grampa's guns sat for 25+ years with a thin coating of RIG and never rusted.

BB

#23 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Bisley45 @ Jan 5 2006, 10:18 AM)
This one has always worked for me in taking light rust spots off, brass wool, with kruoil and a LIGHT dusting of jewlers rouge if it's stuborn.

WD-40 is definately not good for long term storage in anything but a dry climate, the first thing you should put in your gunsafe is a dessicant or dehumidifier like a golden rod. CLP and RIG are much better for storage, some of my grampa's guns sat for 25+ years with a thin coating of RIG and never rusted.

BB

OK I'm confuZed, I guess because I'm and OLD fart.... But define long term storage.... Now they say over time WD40 turns into a hard film... well isn't that the idea? I don't have that problem but I guess I don't leave my guns long term, whatever that is, without wiping them down..... I have my father-in-laws guns which sat for years here and there thruout his house including the garage without dire affects and only protected by the dreaded outmoded WD40....

#24 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

Corrosion X, or Birchwood Casey's Sheath. Both Excellent products for storage.

#25 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

There is only one way to make sure your firearm will never rust on you again, give it to me! laugh.gif tongue.gif I just can't resist.

#26 35divmp

35divmp

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:WWII reenacting, shooting my Savage M1 Thompson (my wife wants one too!), and playing with my kids!

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (ratemaker @ Dec 31 2005, 08:49 AM)
...it had a couple of small rust spots on the top of the receiver sad.gif. They were about the size of Lincon's head on a penny, but I hated seeing them. Can anyone suggest something that will get rid of those spots? I'd be very grateful for any help.

There's nothing you can do except sell that now-trashed weapon with those offensive spots. Since I'm such a nice guy who takes in lost puppies and stray cats, I'll be more than happy to give you a crisp $100 bill for it, and I'll even pay for the shipping. biggrin.gif

Jay