• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 rhlowe

rhlowe

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:03 AM

Zamm:

That isn't a letter. It's a search warrant. I've written a few when I worked narcotics and that is absolutely the most poorly drafted warrant of any kind I've ever seen. I occasionally assist other agencies with warrants and I always look at them personally prior to executing a warrant. I would probably be very leery if an ATF agent asked me to run that thing with him, but if signed by a judge it is a legal document though the language is very questionable.

What you experienced was some very bad police work. They had a search warrant so why did they run the under cover in. They probably didn't do any surveillance on you prior to the incident otherwise they would have taken you down as you came out the door on your way to work. This wasn't unusual in the time frame that you describe they were like a bunch of kids trying to play police and people got hurt. I'm betting that they only had 2 or 3 agents on the raid team that came through the door, kind of dangerous when your suspect has machine guns.

The good news is, from what I have seen lately, they are more professional and better trained. They work with us when filing felon in possession charges. That is something they use to never do. So we filed what we could at the state level. From what I see on the streets the ATF is pursuing criminals now and they appear to be exercising more good judgment when dealing with us honest citizens. I'm sure some of the ATF guys are real nice people it's a shame that they have the job of enforcing many unconstutional laws.

Richard

#22 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

Phil and rhlowe,

Again, it all worked out okay, and I'm sure things are run a lot better today.
They had me for about 3 weeks to a month, judging from first contact with the undercover agent
to the raid call.
There was 8 or 9 in the raid. Strange bunch, all very different. One in black BDU's,
one looking Kojak, complete with trench coat, etc... no sign of the nifty blue windbreakers with ATF on the backs.
But they were all very nice ( the undercover apologized and all that). Well, after the initial shock and awe that is tongue.gif
Z
P.S. After Nick's little ditty about what we say here on the forum, may I say that I have only a SEMI automatic Thompson in all it's legal glory. And that I like ATF agents very much. No kidding.
And I'm not in the least bit paranoid at all, uh huh... sad.gif

#23 Jay Baker

Jay Baker

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, history, science fiction, old movies.

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:10 AM

They should have sprung for pizza and beer and made it a party for all the trouble they caused. Sincere apologies aside, you should always give the customer a little extra something to ease any misgivings.

#24 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:14 AM

That's nothing...

BATF thinks a bootlace is a machinegun:

(See batF-troop letter on this page for details....)

http://www.1919a4.co...TML/003030.html

#25 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

I'll say bad judgement is the understatement of the year...

Not only can they get me for having a machinegun if I'm wearing my boots, but they can get for two! And as for silencers, when are they going to start serial numbering and taxing the most effective silencer ever made? It works so good, it even works with revolvers...
I'm talking about those dangerous "inanimate objects" called pillows, of course...

The shoestring thing is a well-known trick from WWII, and was first done with the M1 Garand.

I myself consider me a rifleman, first and foremost, and subscribe to the doctrine of "One shot, one kill." So I of course would never use a shoestring as a machinegun, because it's a waste of ammo and a waste of taxpayer money to actually be researching this...

I can bump fire just about anything semi-auto anyway. So what now? Tattoo a number on my finger, charge $200 bucks, and be registered with the batF-Troop because my finger is a device which can be used to make a gun fire full auto?

How many people have been murdered with a machinegun in the United States recently? Is all this BS really necessary?

And more importantly, when are we gonna tell the Government that "Shall not be infringed" means exactly what it says??? mad.gif

Shouldn't we be fearing a Government that fears our tools?

If the Government doesn't trust us, why should we trust them?

#26 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jan 16 2006, 01:30 PM)

...maybe one of the only sensible concepts the French ever contributed to history.  (I know, I know.  You're also thinking about that machine the French doctor devised.)

The Frogs can't even lay claim to inventing the "guillotine." The mechanism was already in use as a farm implement used for killing KFC samples in Germany, England, and Persia before being introduced as Robespierre's favorite pain in the neck.