10 replies to this topic

#1 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

Anybody know who to contact at the ATF concerning my SBR Form 1 status? Is there a specific office, or do I just call the Bureau and ask anyone who answers? I know it's a bit early to call, 'cause I just sent it off last Friday, but I sent it Priority with signature confirmation, so it should be there by tomorrow...how long do you typically have to wait for the stamp?
Rob

#2 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

Patients dear boy, patients. You sent it last Friday. You should hear something about oh, mid March or early April.

#3 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Jan 17 2006, 08:37 PM)
Patients dear boy, patients. You sent it last Friday. You should hear something about oh, mid March or early April.

Dammit, Mike...I know I can always count on you to cheer me up... dry.gif
Rob tongue.gif

#4 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (ghostsoldier @ Jan 17 2006, 08:31 PM)
Anybody know who to contact at the ATF concerning my SBR Form 1 status? Is there a specific office, or do I just call the Bureau and ask anyone who answers? I know it's a bit early to call, 'cause I just sent it off last Friday, but I sent it Priority with signature confirmation, so it should be there by tomorrow...how long do you typically have to wait for the stamp?
Rob

First time? sit back relax forget about it popcorn.gif then when it comes it wll be a big surprize... woot.gif just like the publishers clearing house...... double woot.gif woot.gif

#5 NotDeaf

NotDeaf

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:07 AM

Rob,

I did my first request to the ATF, last spring and it too took over 90 days, I think it was 101 days. Then I got a letter for the ATF saying that one lines wasn't filled out correctly, I missed the line where it’s asking for the “Organization”. So I filled in the three words and sent it back. That only took another week, which surprised me. And, there it was, my tax stamp.

I did get a good laugh at your post … I could only wish, they could get it done in a week.

Best of luck on your tax stamp.

Randy
aka NotDeaf

#6 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

Doctors have patients....NFA waiting takes patience. slap.gif

#7 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

If you absolutely, positively just cannot wait any longer, you can call the NFA branch at 202-927-8330 and ask for your examiner and he/she will be able to tell you where you are in the queue. Good luck!

#8 October1971

October1971

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

In the early 1970s it was not uncommon to have a Form-3 turned around in 8 or 9 days, using regular ole first class stamps. I once got one back in my mail box 6 days from the day I placed it in the outgoing mail. AHhh...the good ole days!

#9 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Tman @ Jan 18 2006, 11:56 AM)
If you absolutely, positively just cannot wait any longer, you can call the NFA branch at 202-927-8330 and ask for your examiner and he/she will be able to tell you where you are in the queue. Good luck!

Now THAT'S the response I wanted....a phone number! Does that mean I will be assigned an "examiner" for my application? My very own personal one?
Rob

#10 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

Examiners are assigned alphabetically, based on the last name of the transferor (or builder, in your case.) As for calling your examiner, it's generally counter-productive to begin calling ASAP.
Typically, you should allow at least 90 days before you begin hounding your examiner as this is the BATF-expected/projected turn-around time. It takes time to run the gun, fingerprints, background, etc..., and they have quite a lot of work from other transferors, manufacturers, etc... For example, what if your last name begins with the letter "B"? You'd be lumped in there with the same examiner that would handle paperwork for Bushmaster, Browning, Benelli, as well as a few other letters (maybe "A" and "C" which would include Colt, Armalite, Cobray, etc...) Plus, constantly hounding your examiner and appearring impatient might give you a reputation with your examiner as being a pain...you might even piss off him/her to the point that they "lose" your application.)
Bottom line, the best advice is to be patient and wait out your 90 before calling. Spend the time shoppong for magazines, pouches, slings, stocking up on ammo, (or getting set up to roll your own and producing a small stockpile for the day your Form 1 is returned "Approved.")
My .02

#11 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the advice, Bill. The only person I want to be a pain in the ass to is my wife...I don't need my application to 'vanish', especially not after waiting this long to get it done...hmmmm...guess I'm gonna have to put my patience virtue to the test!
Rob
(90 days....damn....)