• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bounty1

Bounty1

• Regular Group
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:09 AM

Hope you good folks can help me.
Does anyone know of a range, indoor or outdoor in Maryland, as close to DC area as possible where one can shoot full auto? I know of one range in Glen Burnie, "Full-Auto", but was wondering if anyone knew of others. Also, if you know of one that will allow full auto with other than pistol calibers. I've got a M-16 and haven't shot it for years for lack of a place to do it. Any info would be helpful if you have it.
Thanks,
Bounty1

#2 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

Maryland is actually C3 friendly in terms of sign off with no restrictions on Title-II stuff other than following the Unifrom Machine Gun Act, which is what Phil is referring to with respect to felonies, evidence, registration, etc. Yes, it is a pain to register all of your machine guns each May for $10 for all MGs, but unlike California and New York, I can still own them. A small price to pay for being in the 36 states that allow.

Maryland and 6 or so other states follow the UMGA (Virigina does too). I would counter that MD is actually better about CLEO signoff than some other areas where it is up to the local sheriff. Maryland will sign always, provided you pass your background check. I have been a C3 owner, collector and shooter for years in Maryland and I have never had any problems. I shoot next to cops all the time.

Where Maryland fails is three areas: 1) CCW is impossible to an average Joe and 2) Any magazine over 20 rounds is illegal to sell over the counter or receive by mail (possession is not prohibited). Basically, I go to VA or PA for my magazine needs and bring them back myself which is not illegal. 3) No semi automatic "assault" pistols - no semi auto versions of MACs, UZI's, TEC's (about 15 models are explicitly banned), but the full auto versions are fine. Go figure.

In central Maryland, for C3 friendly indoor ranges:
1) Select Fire in Glen Burnie
2) Continental Arms in Towson
3) Gliberts in Montgomery County
4) One in upper Marlboro - I cannot remember the name....

A visit to the website or a call might be in order to ask what caliber restrictions are in place. I shoot suppressed sub and pistol, pistol SBR or full auto subgun primarily, so I haven't found the need for rifle calibers... yet.

Hope this helps. I don't know of any outdoor AND C3 friendly ranges.... I am still looking. Your best bet might be to find a friend with lots of land and shoot there.

Chris.

#3 jerrys

jerrys

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

Same comments as DC Chris. I've lived in MD since 93 and been collecting C3 since 99. Yes, the politics suck. However, 20+ C3 guns later, including a beautiful 21/28, 28AC and M1A1, it obviously hasn't deterred me from my pursuit of building a nice collection (and it's still growing). So, could MD be better? Yes. Has it stopped me from collecting? Not at all and I live in one of the most upscale areas of Montgomery Co. The State Police are CLEO and run it strictly on a pass/fail basis regarding the background check. Given that in MD to purchase a handgun it (1) must be on an approved list (2) must have a ballistic case test if new (3) you must have passed a safety course (actually not a bad idea) and there is a 10 day wait period, it's actually easier to purchase C3.

There is an annual registration of machineguns only (not suppressors, SBR, SBS) that costs $10. I don't find that onerous. They send you notice about 2 months ahead of time. The ladies that work in the NFA section of the State Police are very competent and nice. They even called me one year when I forgot to send the check, as opposed to sending my paperwork back.

However, not too many places to shoot C3. If you want to shoot anything other than pistol caliber, it almost has to be on private land. Gilbert's in Rockville does allow rifle caliber but you have to purchase their ammo and, I think, be a member. The other two ranges are fine. I live just across the Potomac and shoot subguns at Blue Ridge Arsenal out by Dulles. Very C3 friendly and a nice range. Can shoot full auto 223 frangible. They are in process of upgrading and w/in the next 6-9 months will be able to shoot ball .223. Depending on where you live in MD, they're worth checking out.

As far as Phil's point about the "aggressive intent", I asked the State Police about that. To their knowledge, there has never been a case. They did point that using C3 for self-defense could pose a problem. This point has been discussed to death on numerous boards and all have pretty much agreed, that C3 for self defense is the last option. All agree if that's the only gun handy, then it's a different story.

As far as other states with absurd laws, in VA, which all my VA friends portray as C3 friendly, there is still statute on the books regarding having machine guns and "machinegun" ammo together. If I recall correctly, this constitutes "criminal intent" or something equally absurd. A state official actually tired to bring a case forward some years back, but it was eventually dropped. However, someone was still out time an legal fees.

So, while not perfect, it's far from being so restrictive I feel the need to move. If that day does come, then I'll do it. I'll also write a very detailed letter to varioius politicians and papers about how much money my wife and I make, pay in taxes, are empty nesters so we're net contributors to the tax base, how much money we put into local businesses, etc. In other words, their loss.

#4 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

Its time we Maryland Class 3 owners bit the bullet and bought some land and started our own Sportsmen's club.

I've been shooting full auto at Select Fire but that gets old fast with their limits on distance and type of target. Gilberts is closer to me but requires a $300 annual membership fee and I believe Mont. County law requires all ammo be purchased and consumed onsite.

There is talk of a new full feature range opening in Jefferson, MD (7 miles from Frederick) in fall of 06. With any luck it will be FA friendly according to an NRA instructor I know who hopes to be the range manager.

Unfortunately those evil pumpkins are running wild and unafraid in Maryland.

#5 Bounty1

Bounty1

• Regular Group
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:42 AM

Thanks to all of you who replied to my request about a place to shoot in MD. I have been to the range once in GlenBurnie, but as stated, it is a hassle due to the insurance restrictions they have to apply, like no loaded mags when you walk in. All loading to be done on the range itself, with the clock ticking, and all shooting from the shoulder, and you are being taped at all times., but it's better than nothing.
I don't know anyone with private land, so that's out.
As far as being in MD in the first place......I am here since 1997 because I was made an offer I couldn't refuse financially from my employer. I spent the previous 23 years in the Gunshine State of Florida. I will be going back there next year when I retire, and nail my feet to the ground. I had carry permits before Florida switched to a state system...problem being they were only good in the county in which you resided, and every county had it's own way of doing it. Now they have the "Stand your Ground" law. I love Florida and never would have cosidered coming up to this bastion of Political Correct horseshit unless $$ were correct. So have some mercy on me. By the way, for any of you contemplating a move to Florida, here's another good reason....they don't have a state income tax. Between the Feds and MD, I wind up buying these bastards the equivalent of a new Toyota Camry every year. I'm still driving an '86 RX-7.
My range in Jax went PC just before I left. They would never allow full-auto, but the clincher was when they would not allow B-27's or any other sillouettes. Could scare some people, you know. We are still in trouble in this country so I hope we all support NRA, and I personally, although not being Jewish, got my membership in "Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership"....Never again and all that stuff. Plus it drives my Gentile friends crazy when they think I'm a member of a "radical" group. Damn, the Israelis know how to do it.
I don't know what else to say. Thank you to all of you who responded. I guess I'm stuck with my pistol caliber C3's, until I move back where the climate is warmer in a lot of ways.

By the way, I think this was mentioned, but this state is also schizophrenic. Register your C3's every year for $10, whether you have 1 or 50. When I first asked about suppressors, they pretty much said, "Don't bother us. we don't give a crap if you have suppressors or not." Good luck trying to figure that one out. Also, fairly easy to get a permit if you carry someone else's money or you are a diamond courier or whatever, but get rid of your "stash" and the gun must come off. Kinda sensitive about money,but don't give a rat's ass about you protecting YOUR ass. Go figure.
In the meantime, I guess my plac

es to go shoot are the range in Glen Burnie, or else downtownDC, where full-auto fire goes pretty well un-noticed.
Again, thanks to all.

#6 fred

fred

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My 1928AC, MGs in general, 1960's toys.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

Gilbert's in Rockville (Montgomery County, of all places), is a beautiful indoor range, neat and clean. Not only can you shoot full auto, but it is the ONLY place in MD that I can shoot full auto rifle caliber weapons. He is also a class III dealer as well.

#7 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

like no loaded mags when you walk in. All loading to be done on the range itself, with the clock ticking,

I have never been to an indoor range around here that allowed loaded mags. In fact, it is against state law, not range policy. Loaded Mag = Loaded Gun = Arrest - that is the state policy.

Chris.

#8 colt1928

colt1928

• Regular Group
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

I am an LE guy and work in Montgomery County Maryland. I moved out several years ago to an adjacent county. What a refreshing view I got! Definitely more gun friendly than MC Md. During hunting season, you see hunters dressed in orange on the roadways giving friendly waves here. God forbid that if you see a legit hunter in MC Md. with a black powder rifle walking the shoulder of the road trying to track a deer he just shot. We get calls for " suspicious person wearing orange with a gun " in the rural areas. Of course I have to approach every call like that with caution. However, Gee Wiz, Mr. or Mrs. Joe Q. Public; leave the legit man alone! It's really hard being a good lawman and ensuring people's rights are covered. I like the money I make right now but hate the " politics ".

Anyway, Gilbert Guns in Rockville is good with the exception of having to purchase his ammo according to the regulations. The range in Glen Burnie is alright with the exception of distance. I know a couple of MSP troopers who live " way out in the sticks. " They have about 20 + acres so they created their own ranges. I guess buying your own piece of farmland would be the only way to go and less hassle with bureaucracy. How about if we get about 20+ people together, form a corporation, buy a piece of " huge " land, and make the greatest range in Maryland? I would love to snub my nose at the liberals if this was ever done!
soapbox.gif

#9 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

Colt1928 count me in. But of course you've probably seen how all the refugees from Montco have driven up the real estate prices in Frederick County and points west. We may have to start looking in West Virginia. Guess we may need a new thread Know a place to shoot in WV?

#10 pdursin

pdursin

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Collecting military cartridge firearms from 1870 thru WW 2.

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

The Berywn Rod and Gun Club in Bowie, MD. has reopened it's outdoor rifle and pistol ranges as of last July. We allow full auto firearms of rifle and pistol caliber - but not .50 BMG - on our ranges. Berwyn is a private club, so you must first become a member, then pass a qualification with our class III officer before you can shoot full auto. However, we're here and we welcome responsible new members interested in full auto. Please Email me if you want more information.

Pete Dursin