#41 Gio

Gio

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Guns
    Harley Motorcycles

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Ron brought up a interesting subject. It would be neat to know the adverage age of the folks that are members of this great board. Just my 2cents.
Frank

#42 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3480 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

Frank> they are getting older every day. if you know anybody going backwards let me know what meds they are on. even Ralph Shattuck didn't make it out alive. take care Ron /Colt21a

#43 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

Happy New Year
Well I tried to get ahead of the game and 3 more Thompson's show up.
I have edited the data. All the previous comments on what was excluded apply.

The final 2010 summary has been attached to post #29 on this thread.

Now that was really interesting.
I made this post, took a look at it and it was my 1111 post, just happens to have the same #'s as this date 1/1/11. It was purely coincidence, I think!!!

#44 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4347 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Sig @ Jan 1 2011, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happy New Year

Now that was really interesting.
I made this post, took a look at it and it was my 1111 post, just happens to have the same #'s as this date 1/1/11. It was purely coincidence, I think!!!

Sig,

Quite a coincidence! Happy New Year!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#45 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3480 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

Twilight Zone stuff here.and the music played on........................Ron /Colt21a

#46 Hyper Sniper

Hyper Sniper

• Regular Group
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (colt21a @ Jan 1 2011, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Twilight Zone stuff here.and the music played on........................Ron /Colt21a

Very interesting looking over these pages and prices. I have been out of the loop for a few years, so I need to brush up for the future. Glad to see you guys are still keeping the Tommy world abreast.

#47 Sig

Sig

• 1630 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:25 AM

OK
Maybe I am bored. Usually publish this list annually but when updating my notes it seemed to me there were more than a few Thompsons up for sale this year as well as actual sales and/or auction prices rather than just asking. So I had to take a look at what the data said.

Right now just tossed out the highest and lowest, 1 each.

For entertainment looked at just the reported sold prices, and auction prices. Again tossed out the highest and lowest, 1 each. Thus I have notes on 15 total sold Colt Thompsons but the sample analysis is showing 13 because the high and low were tossed out. Now before everyone steps in and says ah ha or anything. There were several Thompson auctioned that their condition was discussed extensively here, so just saying be careful about interpreting too much.

Disclaimers
Your mileage may vary
I do not disclose sources or details to maintain privacy
I am not going to do the sold analysis on previous years, do not have the time.

Attached File  2011.jpg   25.49K   129 downloads

#48 Sig

Sig

• 1630 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

OK
Maybe I am bored. Usually publish this list annually but when updating my notes it seemed to me there were more than a few Thompsons up for sale this year as well as actual sales and/or auction prices rather than just asking. So I had to take a look at what the data said.

For entertainment looked at just the reported sold prices, and auction prices. Again tossed out the highest and lowest, 1 each. Thus I have notes on 15 total sold Colt Thompsons but the sample analysis is showing 13 because the high and low were tossed out. Now before everyone steps in and says ah ha or anything. There were several Thompson auctioned that their condition was discussed extensively here, so just saying be careful about interpreting too much.

Disclaimers
Your mileage may vary

Updated to year endAttached File  2011 Year End.jpg   30.77K   82 downloads

#49 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

OK

Disclaimers
Your mileage may vary

Updated to year endAttached File  2011 Year End.jpg   30.77K   82 downloads

What were the highest and lowest prices that were tossed out? Does this list include the November, 2011 Subguns.com listed Colt TSMG #4912, once owned by Tracie Hill, that sold for $45K?

#50 fifthmdec

fifthmdec

• Regular Group
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Arthur,

Great looking shepard by the way. I agree in principle with your position, I think that there is too much focus on the current satistical interprertation. Perhaps, a balanced position that takes into consideration the many aspects that come into play when looking to purchase a Colt. Many are advertised with some special feature attached to the firearm; from the supposed history without some documentation, a story that has been told and retold, prestine condition, you get the picture. Of course there are some that are well documented and their condition may be better that the 85% out there.

There are many PD and LE Colts out there, but most have been altered in some fashion, many are overstamps, with numbers and LE ID marks some where on the frame or wood. Some have a great story behind; like the Colt that was shipped directly to the Chief of Police in San Fransisco at his place of residence on Dolores Street in late 1934 or early 1935. I have a copy of the paperwork on file, and if I can figure out on how to post it on the boards, I will. It went out in the 90's to a dealer in Md, who basically cleared out all of the transferables that SFPD had. He got them for under 5K a piece, if I remember correctly, a dozen or so went to him.

I can see top dollar for the Chief's Colt, but the rest are just that, PD guns. I am sure that all were 21AC's, I'll check to confirm, as the rangemaster in 2004 was kind enough to open his door and let us talk thompsons, and I cannot thank him enough.

Anyway, if spending a bunch, well over the average, please be careful, as it might be worth the trip for a personal inspection and a sit down with the seller. I did it for our 21 AC and it was worth it. I was able to trace the history from Colt to us as the seller give us copies of all the forms, from the prison to him. Now that was worth the trip. Good points by all...

David

Edited by fifthmdec, 14 January 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#51 Sig

Sig

• 1630 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

What were the highest and lowest prices that were tossed out? Does this list include the November, 2011 Subguns.com listed Colt TSMG #4912, once owned by Tracie Hill, that sold for $45K?

Arthur
Went to answer your questions last night and noticed oversights on my part.

In the early published 2011 Year End I had tossed out NO 3055 low from Amoskeag and 8016 Lawerence County Sheriff. Don't ask my why as I would not be able to answer why. In the earlier list while I tossed out NO 8016 yet I had notes in the totals a couple nearly $90k Thompsons for sale on Gunbroker from SMCFirearms that I left in??? Hmmm

There were other issues with the list so I just had to start again from scratch! It is hard for me pinpoint were I took a turn I suspect in my haste to do a quick total back in October. Anyway on this list I corrected, I tossed out one bottom and the top two on the big list, read that as the Amoskeag auction NO 3055 and the two from SMCFirearms.

On the sold list I just counted all the ones I had information as to they were sold. Did not toss out hightest and lowest.

Had NO 4912 as sold on both lists.

michael

Attached File  2011 Year End.jpg   30.78K   55 downloads

#52 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2586 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Sig,
I know what average means, but I skipped school the day they covered median and mode. Can you help me??
Jim C

#53 GUNGUY45

GUNGUY45

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Sig,
I know what average means, but I skipped school the day they covered median and mode. Can you help me??
Jim C

They are all averages.

The list has "average"- this is the MEAN average, The sum of the set divided by the number if items in the set.

The Median- The middle value of the set.

The Mode- The item that occurs most frequently.

Edited by GUNGUY45, 15 January 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#54 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2586 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sig,
Jim C

They are all averages.

The list has "average"- this is the MEAN average, The sum of the set divided by the number if items in the set.

The Median- The middle value of the set.

The Mode- The item that occurs most frequently.

Gunguy,

Thanks for clearing that up.
Jim C

#55 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Arthur,

Great looking shepard by the way. I agree in principle with your position, I think that there is too much focus on the current satistical interprertation. Perhaps, a balanced position that takes into consideration the many aspects that come into play when looking to purchase a Colt. Many are advertised with some special feature attached to the firearm; from the supposed history without some documentation, a story that has been told and retold, prestine condition, you get the picture. Of course there are some that are well documented and their condition may be better that the 85% out there.

David

My GSD appreciates your discriminating tastes. There are indeed variables that accompany the sale of an individual Colt TSMG. Most collectibles (that are not associated with fame or infamy) achieve their greatest value as determined by their condition. There are of course instances where a collectible in primo condition was acquired at a bargain price. This doesn't mean that those premium prices achieved for a collectible in primo condition are any less indicative of the market place.

#56 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

What were the highest and lowest prices that were tossed out? Does this list include the November, 2011 Subguns.com listed Colt TSMG #4912, once owned by Tracie Hill, that sold for $45K? Arthur Went to answer your questions last night and noticed oversights on my part. In the early published 2011 Year End I had tossed out NO 3055 low from Amoskeag and 8016 Lawerence County Sheriff. Don't ask my why as I would not be able to answer why. In the earlier list while I tossed out NO 8016 yet I had notes in the totals a couple nearly $90k Thompsons for sale on Gunbroker from SMCFirearms that I left in??? Hmmm There were other issues with the list so I just had to start again from scratch! It is hard for me pinpoint were I took a turn I suspect in my haste to do a quick total back in October. Anyway on this list I corrected, I tossed out one bottom and the top two on the big list, read that as the Amoskeag auction NO 3055 and the two from SMCFirearms. On the sold list I just counted all the ones I had information as to they were sold. Did not toss out hightest and lowest. Had NO 4912 as sold on both lists.

Sig,

Thanks for the update.

#57 fifthmdec

fifthmdec

• Regular Group
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

I wanted to clear up some misinformation. I had entered the wrong information about SFPD and it's Chief's connection in a story in an earlier post in this thread; that is what I get going on memory!

Clairification:

SN 4279 was aquired in 1928 by SFPD and the paperwork was signed by Wm. J. Quinn Chief of Police on 11/19/34, approved on a Form 1 on 11/27/34. It was kept at the Hall of Justice and the paperwork included the Chief's home address:

307 Scott St.
SF, CA

Last known location was:

Interstate Arm Corp
Jim Mac Adams
Billerica, MA

Sold on 3/6/98

also sold 11 other Colts...

Does anyone have any updtaes on these Colts, as I do not remember if any updates are in Gordon's lastest updates in his last volume.

David

#58 0928jets

0928jets

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Having read all the posts I was going to quote one of the posts about the average age of a member on this board. Well I'm 32 and a teacher, and an amateur antique gun collector on the side. I have a real dilemma, I have the funding for a Thompson but am scared that I will buy too high. I could get a 1921 with no assesories for 30k or an Overstamp for 33-35k (maybe) with a lot of assesories and in great condition. I'm afraid that the stock and grips are not original on the Overstamp, plus on a teacher's salary that might be out of my range.
BUT I don't want this opportunity to slip
I just don't know, hopefully in 20 years my 1921 Colt won't still be worth 30k
I was told to get a lot of accessories and that condition will appreciate
But it's just so much dang cash
Help with some advice for a young blood collector with not much intention of shooting or making a dollar

#59 bug

bug

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1479 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, metalworking, woodworking, photography.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Having read all the posts I was going to quote one of the posts about the average age of a member on this board. Well I'm 32 and a teacher, and an amateur antique gun collector on the side. I have a real dilemma, I have the funding for a Thompson but am scared that I will buy too high. I could get a 1921 with no assesories for 30k or an Overstamp for 33-35k (maybe) with a lot of assesories and in great condition. I'm afraid that the stock and grips are not original on the Overstamp, plus on a teacher's salary that might be out of my range.
BUT I don't want this opportunity to slip
I just don't know, hopefully in 20 years my 1921 Colt won't still be worth 30k
I was told to get a lot of accessories and that condition will appreciate
But it's just so much dang cash
Help with some advice for a young blood collector with not much intention of shooting or making a dollar

I was 52 years old when I bought my 1st NFA weapon. It was 1996 and my dad passed away leaving me with some "extra" cash. I made sure my family got a chunk and did something nice for myself. My first love was the AK47 and It HAD to be a milled receiver like the 3rd pattern Russian gun. Up to that point I had never paid more than $450 for a firearm. I could have gotten a conversion for $2500 but I found a Chinese M22 for 5K. I was scared shitless but I did it. All I can say is "do it", you'll never regret it. I don't.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a Colt when I was "in the chips". I did pick up a great Savage 28 (and an MP5 and an M16) that to this day give me more pleasure than anything I've bought (dollar for dollar) in my life....

#60 0928jets

0928jets

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

That sounds great, bless you
I will put up more pics when I learn how
since I am new to this and teaching does not start for a few weeks I will do more homework.
Good advice