56 replies to this topic

#21 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

PhilOhio, mea culpa. I didn't intend to demean Robert Stack's talent as a gunner, especially smoothbore. I've proven I can't hit the broad side of any barn with a shotgun. Class act, that guy. Thanks to you other fellers for all the rest of the info on the growing list here of other actors who served.
To paraphrase what I said before, an actor isn't necessarily a gunner, or race car driver, etc. It's Hollywood. If the guy has previous practical experience in subject "X" for the film, time and money saved by Hollywood. We still pay on the back end, at the box office!

#22 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

Let us not forget William Wellman, director of "Wings," "Story of G.I. Joe," flew with Lafayette Escadrille in WWI and with French Foreign Legion, Sam Fuller, director of "The Steel helmet," "Big Red One," was a grunt in same outfit.

Bronson is a triple TSMG threat. Played Machine Gun Kelly with a 1927 Colt TSMG, carried 1921A in "You Can't Win 'em All," and a 1928 in "Never So Few."

#23 Bruce L

Bruce L

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:28 AM

And Bronson's brilliant performance in Death Wish 3 with the Browning Model of 1919 with support from Martin Balsam, also a WW 2 Army Air Corp veteran.

#24 guy sajer

guy sajer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

I just watched a pretty good episode of "Combat" , guest starring Neville Brand .

QUOTE (guy sajer)
Thanks for the info . I had never heard about Neville Brand's service . I always enjoyed him on the weekly "Mystery Movie" Heck Ramsey I think it was and the TV western "Laredo" .

Duh buttkick.gif : edit to correct Richard Boone played "Heck Ramsey" . Also , Boone served in US Navy 1941-45 before becoming an actor

#25 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jan 26 2006, 11:38 AM)
I only commented because Robert Stack's hay day was before the time of some of our younger members, and I wasn't sure they would all know who he was or his history and private interests.

Robert Stack-ok, now pick apart his photo op gun.
user posted image

#26 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:42 AM

one tugh sob i have doubt- that said i have read about durning but read he was at malmady in his own words- i have read he was ranger but those killed at malmedy were artillery/forward observers,not rangers. a lot gets repeated and thought to be true but isn't. i mean there were only supposedly 3 survivors, 2 later died and a 3rd testfied at trial and his name wasn't durning. there however many acts massacre at that time elsewhere durning may have escaped from other than at malmedy

#27 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2120 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

Even that crusty old curmudgeon from 60 Minutes, Andy Rooney, occupies an interesting footnote in history. As a young reporter for Stars and Stripes, he was along on the first US daylight raid into Germany, conducted by B-17s of the 306th Bomb Group in January, 1943. From the book First Over Germany, A History of the 306th Bombardmant Group, by Russel A. Strong, Hunter Publishing Company, 1982.

#28 Junkyardslug

Junkyardslug

• Regular Group
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

I read in a book I have that John Wayne made a USO apperance in the pacific and the Marines Booed him off stage.

JYS

#29 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

Ouch!!!!!!!

#30 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Junkyardslug @ Jan 31 2006, 10:35 AM)
I read in a book I have that John Wayne made a USO apperance in the pacific and the Marines Booed him off stage.

JYS

Those sort of reports make Lee Ermey's idolization of Wayne so bizarre. Of course Wayne didn't make "Sands" until 1949, maybe that is when the Marines gave him a pass?

#31 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jan 31 2006, 12:37 PM)
Wayne was a terrible actor, and all his lines sound like he was reading them, but he got the message out, and I think his heart was in the right place.

Did pretty good for a terrible actor..... holds the record for most leading parts, around 150 I believe, in movies.... Good thing you weren't a voting member fo The Academy, he would have never gotten his Oscar..... wink.gif

#32 calibre

calibre

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Jan 25 2006, 11:38 AM)
It is perplexing why Lee Ermy, a Vietnam veteran,  considers Wayne his ultimate warrior idol.

Maybe we see something in John Wayne that your myopic world can not perceive.

#33 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

I always thought it was funny that JW would make war movies, Then he was against the war in Vietnam. And against the Presidents for having our boys there. Then he makes a movie like "The Green Berets". Go figure.

#34 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (calibre @ Jan 31 2006, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Jan 25 2006, 11:38 AM)
It is perplexing why Lee Ermy, a Vietnam veteran,  considers Wayne his ultimate warrior idol.

Maybe we see something in John Wayne that your myopic world can not perceive.

Whose we? Marines? Veterans? Or just those who are beguiled by cinema magic as opposed to real life exploits. Since you no doubt sat in the first row when your hereo's first run pics played, perhaps it is your vision that suffers from myopia.

#35 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

I Wayne was a terrible actor, and all his lines sound like he was reading them, but he got the message out, and I think his heart was in the right place.

Yeah, maybe so, Phil...but he wasn't much of a singer, either...I've got his LP "America: Why I Love Her" (1972, I think), and boy...does the Duke ever butcher a song! tongue.gif
Rob

#36 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (OldFalGuy @ Jan 31 2006, 01:42 AM)
one tugh sob i have doubt- that said i have read about durning but read he was at malmady in his own words- i have read he was ranger but those killed at malmedy were artillery/forward observers,not rangers. a lot gets repeated and thought to be true but isn't. i mean there were only supposedly 3 survivors, 2 later died and a 3rd testfied at trial and his name wasn't durning. there however many acts massacre at that time elsewhere durning may have escaped from other than at malmedy

Yeah, that was my thoughts, too...after doing much research, I found the majority of the data to reflect that there were as many as 17 to 21 survivors of the Malmedy Massacre (actually, the Baugnez Crossroads, or "5 Points" as known to the Americans), and I suppose Durning could have been one...but, it's a well known fact that Lt. Col. Jochen Peiper's SS-Kampfgruppe Peiper was responsible for many atrocities during the early days of the Bulge...perhaps Durning is a survivor of one of those incidents...and the soldier who testified at the Dachau Trials was one Kenneth Ahrens, shot twice in the back...
Rob

#37 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jan 31 2006, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jan 31 2006, 01:05 PM)
Wayne was a terrible actor, and all  his lines sound like he was reading them, but he got the message out, and I think his heart was in the right place.

Did pretty good for a terrible actor..... holds the record for most leading parts, around 150 I believe, in movies.... Good thing you weren't a voting member fo The Academy, he would have never gotten his Oscar..... wink.gif

Trolling for *_____s here is so much fun. That's partially why I tossed out those first two phrases. I saw Z3 online here as I was typing. I got a bite even before the keys cooled down.

(On the other side of the coin, John Wayne was not at all such a great actor, and we all know how the Oscar awards thing goes, and how and why parts are awarded. Wayne was a good guy, and marketable, and a good American. He may have had shortcomings, but so do all of us. Oops! I mean, except for Z3.)

Z3, your cage is so easily rattled. I can usually predict a reaction, but not precisely how you will try to frame it. You're just such a thinking, probing guy, full of surprises. Baiting you now and then is a lot of laughs. You try so hard, to find something to attack, grasping for straws. I thought this last one would be simple and straight forward, making your drab day a little bit more fun. It was a slam dunk. laugh.gif

I've got to say, you're improving...becoming just ever so slightly more articulate...less crude in your style...trying very hard to sound reasonable and rational. Keep working on it.

*I started out to be a little cruel, and then thought, like Dick Nixon, "But that would be wrong." laugh.gif

Not easily rattled really, I just can't stand the flow of misinformation being slung around here.... nono.gif I just try to get out the facts and let people decide for themselves..... And if some people look like a moron in the process... so be it. buttkick.gif

#38 1919A6

1919A6

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

You all forgot our courageous coward "Mission Accomplished" hide in Alabama or was that Mississippi BUSH!

#39 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Off topic, OK....

If you want to get into politics, I'll say that Ronald Reagan was our best president.

Now the question is, would you be satisfied with a low life political piece of garbage like Kerry being in office?

The problem is ignorant LIBERALS like you have forgotten what President Bush said immediately after 9/11, that it's going to be a long fight, etc...

What other problems do you have with Mr. Bush?

Grow up and get educated!!! cop.gif

#40 Junkyardslug

Junkyardslug

• Regular Group
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

Back to John Wayne (bringing this back to an earlier hijack?) and R Lee, and I am just thinking here, but I am pretty sure there are two R. Lee Ermey:

1) Staff Sgt R. Lee Ermey fought and was wounded in Vietnam, went to study acting on the GI bill, and has made a career out of playing mostly tough guys. He has 98 films to his credit: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000388/ , including Saving Silverman where he kisses another man on the lips.

2) 'Gunny Sgt' R. Lee Ermey who is a characterization of some of his roles (most notably Sgt Hartman of Full Metal Jacket). 'Gunny' Ermey is balls to the wall, over the top, no excuses, never say die, and is right out of an old 'Sgt. Rock' Comic book (and I mean one of the silly ones where they fight the Nazi dinosaurs). In other words the 'Gunny' we see is on Mail call

Now before I get flamed, I am not saying R. Lee is not a patriotic, gun lovin', tough as nails SOB, whom I would not want to meet in a dark alley if he didn't like me BUT which R. Lee said that John Wayne was the ultimate warrior Idle? And which John Wayne was he talking about? John Wayne the man or the Characters John Wayne played?

JYS

Edited by Junkyardslug, 01 February 2006 - 01:22 AM.