Who Would Have Known!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

My personal favorite R. Lee Ermey photo.

user posted image

#42 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:54 AM

How much did your wife (or ex-wives) pay him for that Mike?

#43 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

Ghost your right, Peiper did a lot of no-nos in that general area and it is shameful he wasn't executed.

I should have reviewed my post, I meant that Durning WAS a tough sob-period whether he was involved in, on or near a massacre sorta doesn't matter.
The germans caught a lot of small groups near the bulge who couldn't do diddly against thier tanks but run and in the snow they didn't get far nor did they have any way of handling 100's of pow's- still no reason to massacre them- pity that payback in kind only makes us look bad in the history books.

#44 Junkyardslug

Junkyardslug

• Regular Group
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:11 AM

Alright everyone, not to bring this back from the dead, but I looked up the John Wayne Booing incident. This is from 'The Censored War, American Visual Experience During WWII' by George H. Roeder, jr on Pg 102 if anyone wants to follow along in their copies;

"Soldiers were the toughest audience. The Marine Veteran William Manchester [Manchester, who was wounded in the knee on Guadalcanal, was the author of Death of a President and The Arms of Krupp]remembered 'John Wayne being booed in a Hawaiian hospital by an audience of wounded Marines from Iwo Jima and Okinawa, Men who had had macho acts, in a phrase of the day, up their asses to their armpits.' Manchester also reported that after seeing an advertisement in an American magazine that jauntily declared 'Who's afraid of the bid Focke-Wulf', pilots at one base wrote 'We are' and 'Followed it with the signature of every airman there, including the commanding officer, and mailed it to the sponsoring firm."

JYS

#45 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

When you get right down to the nut cutting Phil is right-

I enjoyed John Wayne's flick's, Hope never entered my radar screen- not my kinda entertainment but back then that was about all that was on the old B&W tube.

But I will sure as heck admit it would mean a lot to have Wayne's Thompson if one existed-
Don't care about one owned by Hope at all-wouldn't be worth a premium to me like Wayne's.

#46 froster

froster

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

Well, if the careers of those guys are in question, at least we know that Charles Durning and Sean Connery were in on the action in France on and after 1944-06-06 in the US and Brit forces.

#47 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:02 PM

Now Steve McQeen's Colt TSMG would be the bomb! An ex-Marine (tank driver at Camp Pendleton), his Colt was a 1927 AC "Navy," one of two known to exist.

Even though Wayne's "Green Berets" was the only Hollywood movie about Vietnam during the war, it is so embarrassingly constructed as if Wayne thought time stood still in 1942.

Aside from the Hope/Crosby road movies, Bob made his real money in real estate. His career in the 1960's sputtered out and the only way he could keep his face in the public eye was to continue to do the USO tours and Christmas specials. As long as he brought with him, during different periods, Rita Hayworth, Cyd Charisse, Gloria Graham, Rachel Welch, Joey Heatherton, Ann Margret, and various Playmates, the troops endured the Hope hackneyed hokey hijinks.

#48 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

So, I look at the original topic of this thread, and now we're flaming Bob "What Do I Have To Do With This" Hope? Geez, guys.

I conducted for Bob, as my Dad did before me (Me: 1972. Dad: 1952). Very nice guy. He was to the point, get it done, very sincere thanks at the end, and in private quiet. He wasn't Audie Murphy; he was Bob Hope. A showbiz guy, start to finish.

OK, fire away. What the heck, I don't even own a Thompson!

#49 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

All I can say is my Dad, a WW2 Corsair carrier pilot is rolling in his grave at you guys putting down Bob Hope. No smiley faces here.

#50 aut-ord-co

aut-ord-co

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

Arthur,

There was a guy at one of the early TCA Shows that had a few Thompsons on display and one of them was claimed to be formerly owned by McQueen. Have to look if any pics are around.

#51 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4263 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

Arthur's post made me think of some of my Dad's Vietnam pictures of USO shows with Bob Hope and Raquel Welch at Cam Ranh Bay in Vietnam. I think Hope made 2 visits there in '67 and '68, as I recall my father saying, and from some of the dates on the slides. I was 1-2 years old at the time, and my Dad was always a shutterbug, especially during the war. Being a doctor, he developed a lot of the black and white images in x-ray developing solutions, and the fixative was not the greatest for preservation purposes, but you'll get the idea. The color slides are much better. Dad died on active duty 18 years ago, and I don't often get to share any of the hundreds of Vietnam pictures he took. He was a Captain at the time, and served in the Medical Corps at the 6th Convalescent Center on the beach at Cam Ranh Bay. Very good duty, from what I can see, and from what he told me.

Anyway, this post is kind of "off track" now, but I couldn't help but post some pictures that might add a few thousand words to the conversation...

user posted image

Cue cards...

user posted image

user posted image

Looks like quite a number of troops "endured" the show...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Here's a picture of Dad with his local war souvenir...

user posted image

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#52 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:57 PM

david those are nice pic's.and your dad i'm sure served with honor.semper-fi ron

#53 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Feb 3 2006, 09:02 PM)

Even though Wayne's "Green Berets" was the only Hollywood movie about Vietnam during the war, it is so embarrassingly constructed as if Wayne thought time stood still in 1942.

Don't know about making time stand still but he did make the sun set in the East.... woot.gif

Some strong stuff David.....

#54 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:03 AM

Very nice pix Dave. Those are ones to be proud of. And as far as Bob Hope, he was a very funny person. If you didn't laugh at Hope, you probable didn't like the 3 Stooges or Abbot and Costello or the Marx brothers.

#55 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:25 AM

Dave--
I absolutely enjoyed those pix!! thanks

#56 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Feb 4 2006, 08:03 AM)
Very nice pix Dave. Those are ones to be proud of. And as far as Bob Hope, he was a very funny person. If you didn't laugh at Hope, you probable didn't like the 3 Stooges or Abbot and Costello or the Marx brothers.

The Marx Brothers films were classics and much funnier than Hope and Crosby Road pictures. Groucho was much more quick witted than Hope as demonstrated on "You Bet Your Life." The Stooges and Abbot & Costello were masters of slapstick, like Harold Loyd and Buster Keaton in the silent film era. W.C. Fields had it all over on Hope.

The problem with Hope is that he didn't know when to leave the stage. Hope lacked the instinct his contemporaries had to know when to pack it in. Instead of being remembered for Vaudeville, radio, a 50's TV show, and his Crosby films, he pressed on with the same material that had lost its resonance a generation before the 1960's.

Joe E. Brown appeared in scores more front line areas to entertain the troops in WWII, yet Hope's PR machine made sure he got all the coverage.

#57 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:42 AM

I found this link on the Combat! website. It's a list of actors who served in WW2.

http://www.jodavidsm...rs_in_wwii.html