• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 StoryforU

StoryforU

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:44 PM

New Member 5,
You might want to approach this two ways - 1) acquiring an original Thompson and 2) getting suitable Thompsons for your movie.
Blank firing replicas have alot less security and insurance concerns, particularly if more than one character in the script are so armed.

See our friends at eBay for examples.

MGC Blank Gun Thompson M1921 Fullset Marushin
http://cgi.ebay.com/...9&category=4726

#22 NDLawyer

NDLawyer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, firearms in general, hunting, reading (almost anything, fiction or nonfiction), golf, computers, history.

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Zoo @ Oct 25 2003, 02:11 PM)
From the standpoint of what they look like- the big difference is the vertical, pistol style grip under the barrel for the 1921 style, and the horizontal grip on the 1928 style.

Zoo:

Without consulting American Thunder, I am pretty darn sure that some 1928's had vertical fore grips.

#23 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4573 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:26 PM

This is a picture of a original Colt Thompson sold to a Police Department in December of 1927.
user posted image

This is 1930's Rust and a 1928 West Hurley Thompson. Looks very much alike from 10 feet or more away.

user posted image

This is a 1928 West Hurley with a nocross bolt stock attached.
user posted image

#24 new member 5

new member 5

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 04:00 AM

for them guns above . That west Hurley Tommy gun Is the gun length bigger than the original colt . It looks that way but it could just be the picture ?

#25 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4573 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 26 October 2003 - 08:04 AM

Length should be the same. The picture is scrunched up to fit. Plus the buttstock is off the Colt gives that effect.

#26 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 09:34 AM

At the FAQ section of this board, the picture of three TSMGs at the very start shows a '21A as the first item.

On the autoweapons.com site there are a number of TSMGs for sale. One is a '21/28 overstamp, another is a '21AC. If you are really serious and don't mind paying what I consider to be a premium price, you may wish to consider the guns available from autoweapons.com.

Good luck with your film.

#27 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3455 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 11:23 AM

The reason those two Colt's have been for sale on autoweapons.com for so long is that they are 80%+ guns with 95%+ prices, and they do not include any extras. Premium prices are fine as long as they reflect the merchandise being sold.

#28 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 26 October 2003 - 08:27 PM

Rent one from Stembridge Gun Rentals. Lots cheaper. If you are lookin to own and collect, get a 28 Stampover (aka 1928 Navy Overstamp).

They are by far the most valuable, collectable Tommy Guns.

Plan on purchasing a 98% or better gun, with accessories. Never use 30 round stick mags in a gangster gun in a movie, it was not correct for the era. Use drums for the best effect.

Budget 30K for the gun and accessories if you follow my advice. That's why your better off calling Stembridge.

Jr

#29 Zoo

Zoo

• Regular Group
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 05:42 PM

Sorry,
I was thinking of the Navy 28's, which I thought had all been changed to the horizontal grips.
Thanks guys.

#30 Reenactor

Reenactor

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:57 PM

ReEnactments, Early Thirties Crime, which performs throughout Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. Among other armament, the group has three 21s and a WH, all adapted to fire blanks as well as live ammo (not in the same show!).

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#31 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:15 PM

Also please try and keep your bursts realistic in the movie, and showing reloading is cool. It is just agitating to see a well filmed movie and then see some idiot screwed up an ovious detail. like Tom hanks in road to perdition, the asembly of the thompson whas slightly flawed but the 1911 shooting from the hammer down position really turned me off. Make sure you don't have the actuator forward on the thompson and dub in shots.

you might want to have these guns in movie....

1921 Thompson
1911 auto, the 1911A1 was not avalible until 1927....
Colt New Service
Colt Friz special, cool factory variation with a 2" barrel andthe front of the trigger guard cut away
BAR
Colt monitor, a comercial BAR with shorter barel and a neat compinsator.
S&W M&P
S&W Hand ejector
Colt 1903 Pocket model
Browning 1900 auto, Theadore Rosevelt had one, the recoil spring is above barrel. It looks like a double barreled auto
Savage automatic
Winchester 97 pump gun

BB

#32 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:52 PM

Isn't Stembridge out of biz? I thought I'd heard or read that they are not around anymore. They were the kings of MG movie rentals, for certain. Tracie Hill told me once that most every Thompson in their inventory was used in the final scene of the "Dick Tracy" movie.

#33 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 29 October 2003 - 10:45 AM

My bud in the movie biz says that there is a company called ISS that rents all types of guns for the industry. A google search might find more info on them.

#34 StoryforU

StoryforU

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Tman @ Oct 29 2003, 10:45 AM)
My bud in the movie biz says that there is a company called ISS that rents all types of guns for the industry. A google search might find more info on them.

http://www.issprops.com/

http://www.issprops.com/weapons.htm

Yow, $195 a week for a blank-firing Thompson non-gun....

#35 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:56 PM

You can also check out the following web site:
http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/

and purchase the RimFire production video of the Thompson.

#36 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4573 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 10:19 PM

$195 a week on the rental really doesn't sound that bad. If you look at a movie that would cost a few million to make, then you rent out your firearms for the few days it would take to shoot a scene, it may not be all that bad. Hey if you need someone to help instruct the actor(s) on how to properly shoot the things.....let me know. I could take a few days off work. cool.gif

#37 StoryforU

StoryforU

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Oct 29 2003, 10:19 PM)
$195 a week on the rental really doesn't sound that bad. If you look at a movie that would cost a few million to make, then you rent out your firearms for the few days it would take to shoot a scene, it may not be all that bad.

How about the production company buying blank firing reproductions for $600@, using them as long as they need to and then slapping them up on ebay with a $400 reserve and a certification of authenticity that they were used in .

user posted image

#38 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4573 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:24 AM

Here's what it looks like when the boys fire at you. I took this at the TCA show last year with a shitty camera so quality is bad,sorry.
Remember it's only blanks!
It's Only Blanks!

#39 Ben

Ben

• Regular Group
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:09 AM

Aren't you worried about using a genuine Thompson on a film set? It could easily get damaged. Why not go for a replica like the MGC 1921 Thompson. All metal and wood construction, nearly identical to the real thing at a fraction of the price and fires blanks too! (plastic cap type) Anyway, here a pic of my MGC.
user posted image

#40 new member 5

new member 5

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:10 PM

Just wondering do any of you guys on this site like Role playing games ( i no this is ramdom) u know like rpgs over the internet ?