Another Drum For Sale!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2086 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:07 AM

check out this one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...mMakeTrack=true

This time the seller thinks it is a 10 rounder, and the cover is marked 4-6 clicks for one.
But look inside... don't these look like 50 round rails?

The thing is in such good condition - since new ones can be had for close to $100 I think he knows it is a 50 but doesnt want to advertise it.

Experts - what is your verdict....?

added - alright, I looked again. The rails are definitely welded in. Someone made a 50 out of a 10!

#2 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:03 AM

Your right Panda,

Looks very sloppy as well, I'd bet it has a multitude of feeding problems, as the rails are all over the place. nono.gif

#3 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

GiantP4 Go for this one, I'm lettin you have it.... Don't say I never gave you nuttin, OK? dry.gif

#4 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2086 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#5 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

First, I thought it was the pictures.
Then I thought it was my screen.
Then I thought it was my eyes.
Then I realized its the drum!!! ohmy.gif

#6 Mario Scarpino

Mario Scarpino

• Regular Group
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

Just curious what you guys think about the following. To be a "true" Thompson collector, would a guy need a 10 round drum (Bill Clinton Special) that was converted to 50 rounds in his inventory? I think there was somebody also selling the rails for just the outside diameter that would make it a 39 rounder?? Do I need one of those as well?? What is of more value, an original 10 rounder unmolested or one that had been converted? I can't decide what to do with my BC special!!!!

I do kinda like the new L drums from Kahr. I got 55 rounds in one of them. Is it really an LV drum? Is that another variation, therefore something that a true collector "must have"?

How many rounds do you guys think we will be able to get into the new C drums??? 101 (CI drum)? 105 (CV drum)? 109 (CIX)? 110 (CX)?

And how many "clicks" to make it run? 60???

Mario Scarpino

#7 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Mario Scarpino @ Feb 8 2006, 06:42 PM)
Just curious what you guys think about the following. To be a "true" Thompson collector, would a guy need a 10 round drum  (Bill Clinton Special) that was converted to 50 rounds in his inventory? I think there was somebody also selling the rails for just the outside diameter that would make it a 39 rounder?? Do I need one of those as well?? What is of more value, an original 10 rounder unmolested or one that had been converted? I can't decide what to do with my BC special!!!!

I do kinda like the new L drums from Kahr. I got 55 rounds in one of them. Is it really an LV drum? Is that another variation, therefore something that a true collector "must have"?

How many rounds do you guys think we will be able to get into the new C drums??? 101 (CI drum)? 105 (CV drum)? 109 (CIX)? 110 (CX)?

And how many "clicks" to make it run? 60???

Mario Scarpino

I just picked up a "Clinton Special" as you call it, just to have one... Brand new in the box with directions and third hand, for a bill shipped... Didn't think about the 10/50 round drum variant... Guess it is needed but not this one that was put together in Jr High Shop class.......

#8 Mario Scarpino

Mario Scarpino

• Regular Group
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Phil,

I guess you are saying that I should leave my X drum as is and not convert it. I assume that only "factory made" products would have any significant value. However, when we get our next AW ban, then maybe X drums that were converted during the sunset period would actually surpass the value of an original Karp X drum. (assuming the conversion was properly done). Maybe I need to get another X drum and convert it just to be on the safe side.

Just another day in Thompson-land!!!!!

Mario

#9 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

I would give oh say $40 for a "X' drum today.

#10 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

Don't know notdeaf just sold his for 112 bucks +shipping....

X Drum

#11 NotDeaf

NotDeaf

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

.... Thank you very much.....

I tried to sell that drum for months around the gun shows ....... $5.00 each time
Throw it up on eBay for a 5 day auction for .01 cent..... $1.25
Knowing that someone out there would pay over $100.... Priceless
(NO, but more money in my wallet and more space in my safe) you know it....

I agree with Full Auto, $40.00 maybe.... I have one, which I know I'll never use ... I have it just for the collector side of it...

#12 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (NotDeaf @ Feb 12 2006, 11:15 AM)
.... Thank you very much.....

I tried to sell that drum for months around the gun shows ....... $5.00 each time
Throw it up on eBay for a 5 day auction for .01 cent.....              $1.25
Knowing that someone out there would pay over $100....        Priceless
(NO, but more money in my wallet and more space in my safe) you know it....

I agree with Full Auto, $40.00 maybe.... I have one, which I know I'll never use ... I have it just for the collector side of it...

Hey I bid 90 bucks on it... figgered 100 bucks with shipping was doable for me just to use as a display gun....

But Uncle Mike is takin me to the BIG gun show and get me the GOOD buys... woot.gif

#13 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:09 AM

Nice finish on that drum.
Krylon? blink.gif
Z

#14 NotDeaf

NotDeaf

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

I don’t know Z, maybe? I can tell you that, it had some rust on it at one point and time, then someone, not me, bead blasted it and then finished it. It looked like a parkerized finish. I got it with a lot of Thompson parts, it was all or nothing, so, I’ll sell off what I don’t’ need.