To Lyman Or Not

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

I've got a 28 parts kit ( income tax refund) ordered and inbound that comes with a flat stamped rear sight and was wondering about the real Lyman sights. Are they worth the $300 that IMA and others are asking for them.
Never liked the cheap copy WH or Khar turned out on the 27's. It's only real use would be helping John Wane as I watch DVD's or inavertently scaring the neighbors when the better half leaves the blinds open and I don't realize and am doing dry fire drills pointed at the TV.

BB

#2 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2062 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

I have found a few for under $300, more like $225 - $275 . No great deals.

I would ask how real do you want this to be? I had to have one, I had a Kahr at first, and as you said I didn't like it either. My gun's purpose is serving as part of a display of all of the different models, so the original sight was a must.

From 10 or more feet - the Kahr looks fine! wink.gif

#3 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2884 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

I purchased a Lyman adjustable rear sight from Don Bell at:

http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com

for $200 at the last Knob Creek Show. I would describe it as fully functional and in good to very good condition. I have seen worse at a much higher price. It will look great on my 28 West Hurley someday. This is the best deal I have found on the Lyman adjustable.

#4 Motorcar

Motorcar

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

I had PK put the real Lyman on the one that goes bang and I put the Kahr on the wall hanger. It looks fine and few know the difference. The real one is a must for the shooter!