- - - - -

1928 A1 Kits W/adjustable Lyman Sights

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 jim

jim

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Class 2 manufacturer but mostly deal in and do transfers of Class 3 stuff. Benchmark Barrels works under my FFL and manufactures match grade rifle barrels.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Mario Scarpino @ Feb 16 2006, 04:51 PM)
Frank, many thanks for the heads up on this!!!!!

I go the 28A1 kit and the accesssory pack.  I requested a knurled knob and he said he could accomodate me!!! WOW!!!! NEAT DEAL!!!

Mario

Uh-em, rolleyes.gif actually I first brought it up.

#22 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:34 PM

Yeah Kudos to jim. His post got me an early order.

#23 SGTJacques

SGTJacques

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

sad.gif After reading this - I should of waited. I baugh my kit from SMG for$539.00 for a few bucks more I could of had a laymens sight. S#$% Friken fraken - someone hit me. hope Dan has some extra after he sells off all his kits.

#24 fermata

fermata

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Frank Iannamico @ Feb 16 2006, 02:54 PM)
Welcome to the board!

Well the original AO guns are far less common than Savage especially tranferable ones. Savage made the vast majority of guns and parts. AO originally subcontracted with Savage to make the Thompsons, then to keep up with the demand opened their own factory. Actually many AO guns were originally built with Savage parts in them. Most Savage owners want Savage parts for spares. There are no appreciable quaility differences. But AO marked parts are rarer. There were a large number of other subcontractors too...Stevens and Remington were one of the larger ones.

Frank, thanks for the helpful, informative response!

#25 Ryan

Ryan

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hello everyone. Another newbie here with questions...
I've wanted a Thompson as long as I can remember. Now that I thought I was finally almost able to afford one. At least, until I saw a select fire with a bulging barrel for sale at over $30K cop.gif on an auction site.
That brings the question of are there any reasonable priced Thompsons left under $2k or am I dreaming? In either military or civilian trim (parked vs blued) ? I'd love to get an older (select fire) versus a new(ish) semi-auto version.
Which brings up the question of the parts kits. I'm taking for granted that they are of the typical BATFE rules torch cut up receiver and internals. Where can I get a reciever to (legally) rebuild a parts kit?

I do have an FFL03 (C&R License). But I'm really new to that too. And I know that there are Thompsons listed as C&R eligible. But are they all going for new car prices?

Thanks

Ryan

#26 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Feb 16 2006, 10:52 PM)
...are there any reasonable priced Thompsons left under $2k or am I dreaming?

DREAMING!!!!!

In fact, under 10K is dreaming as well. cool.gif

#27 Ryan

Ryan

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:33 AM

Thanks JimfromFL. I'm in FL too St. Augustine area. I was hoping that it wasn't going to be dreaming. But, oh well. I guess I'll just have to get a Garand and some other toys instead.

#28 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

Ryan, if you really want a Thompson I'd suggest taking out a small loan and buying one now. they seem to only go up!
You can always repay a loan but if you wait til later you may always be waiting!! huh.gif

BTW, regarding the parts kits.....I got a beauty from the Guide a couple weeks ago and have no regrets BUT I also ordered an accessory kit that ran me $140....and yesterday I ordered two more accessory kits from Dan at $100 and $109 shipped (bought another parts kit so I got the 10% off on one of these).
I quickly called the Guide and was told that the package had just gone out yesterday AM! So now I'll have three kits. Not a problem as I can always get more than I paid for them! (as long as my wife understands?? nono.gif )
When I talked to Dan I requested knurled actuator and knurled selector.safety if possible. Requested an A.O. lower but Savage OK as long as numbers were original and not struck out/restamped. Dan said he'd do the best he could and was happy to chat.

We'll see what I get......

john

#29 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Feb 17 2006, 09:33 AM)
Thanks JimfromFL. I'm in FL too St. Augustine area. I was hoping that it wasn't going to be dreaming. But, oh well. I guess I'll just have to get a Garand and some other toys instead.

If you are in the Central Florida area for a day or so let me know and you can shoot mine. cool.gif

#30 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:58 PM

Just got my parts kit from Dan's. It is so sadly beautiful. bright bolt, knurled actuator, one or two minor dings on the stock, original serial number on the lower still in tact, S 292622. I'm sure it never saw the light of day for 60 years. I'm going to have to get another WH 28 to put it to use. Makes me want to cry though picturing the beautiful receiver that was part of it lying there in pieces.

#31 warguns

warguns

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

It is sad to see some new weapons cut up that our men and women worked long hard hours to make to keep this country free.
user posted image

#32 booger hooker

booger hooker

• Regular Group
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:43 PM

I had ordered one of the kits from RGuns and the Lyman rear sight and it's a beautiful kit...but from what I see here I need to order one of these as well as the accessory kit and get off MUCH cheaper than I did with RGuns. I plan on calling tomorrow and ordering.

Thanks for info and pics! hail.gif

#33 ODS9091

ODS9091

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

Received my kit last night..I would rate it at around 98%..deducting only for a little surface rust on the bottom of the Lyman and no checkering on the safety and selectors...other than that NNNNIIIIIICCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEE....S317515, milled swivels, bright bolt, non-cross bolt stock, knurled actuator...4th style comp., All Savage/Stevens parts
biggrin.gif Thanks Dan. you are the man biggrin.gif

#34 docmolar

docmolar

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

I got mine today along with two accessory kits. Thanks to Dan they look great!

#35 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2086 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

Frank - I would have never bought one of these kits until you posted those beautiful pictures....
and now it is here and I am Glad I bought it! It is like NEW everywhere!

Thanks!

#36 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1027 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:14 AM

Kits are getting LOW, I was up at Dan's yesterday, not many '28 kits or mags left! They are going fast!

I suggest getting an accessory kit if your ordering a parts set, good deal- 5 new mags, pouch, oiler, pistol belt, brass cleaning rod, etc. $109.00 vs $149.00 at SG

#37 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Frank Iannamico @ Feb 22 2006, 09:14 AM)
Kits are getting LOW, I was up at Dan's yesterday, not many '28 kits or mags left! They are going fast!

I suggest getting an accessory kit if your ordering a parts set, good deal- 5 new mags, pouch, oiler, pistol belt, brass cleaning rod, etc. $109.00 vs $149.00 at SG

Getting Low?!??!?!?!?!

I saw those pictures of boxes just full of parts and they didn't look low to me. cool.gif

#38 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:34 AM

I talked to Dan yesterday - he is running low on kits and almost out of accessory kits.

#39 docmolar

docmolar

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

Called today to get another parts set and Dan said they are out of accessory kits. But may get more later. Wish I had ordered more with my first set sad.gif

#40 M-2 CARBINE

M-2 CARBINE

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

Hello

I just got my accessory kit from the ups man and all i can say is wow the mags hold atleast 95% bluing and the 5 cell pouch is unmarked the belt says FROEHLICH. CO 1942 the oiler is not what i thought i was getting looks like a nagant oiler and so does the tool but all in all i am very happy wise i bought more.

Edited by M-2 CARBINE, 22 February 2006 - 03:09 PM.